Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower questions '84 254

Hi all,

I have a new to me 1984 254 with an enclosed transom with twin '86 DF140 Suzuki's on a bracket. Top end is ~43mph at 6200rpm. Cruises 32-34mph at 4300-4500rpm I seem to be getting about 2mpg.

The boat has 151 gal main tank and a newer 54 gal aux fuel tank, fresh water washdown which looks to be about 25-30 gallons. Also still has the factory in floor livewell.

I'm thinking about upgrading to either Twin 175 Mercury Verados or twin 200 Verados. Does anyone have any idea about performance....fuel burn rates, MPG, Top end speed etc, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Qbdss

Hi all,

I have a new to me 1984 254 with an enclosed transom with twin '86 DF140 Suzuki's on a flotation bracket. Top end is ~43mph at 6200rpm. Cruises 32-34mph at 4300-4500rpm I seem to be getting about 2mpg.

The boat has 151 gal main tank and a newer 54 gal aux fuel tank, fresh water washdown which looks to be about 25-30 gallons. Also still has the factory in floor livewell.

I'm thinking about upgrading to either Twin 175 Mercury Verados or twin 200 Verados. Does anyone have any idea about performance....fuel burn rates, MPG, Top end speed etc, etc.

Thanks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Qbdss

Hi all,

I have a new to me 1984 254 with an enclosed transom with twin '86 DF140 Suzuki's on a flotation bracket. Top end is ~43mph at 6200rpm. Cruises 32-34mph at 4300-4500rpm I seem to be getting about 2mpg.

Thanks

Comment

My 88 254 performed so well with a single 300 Suzuki 4 stroke I cant imagine another option...great numbers.. regular fuel..just my 2 cents
        1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Thats a lot of weight. If you really want to go twins, Id suggest the non-Verado versions that are lighter weight than the Verado versions.

That boat does seem to perform very well with a single, and a 350 Verado or Zuke would likely be a better way to get that hp without so much weight.
          Sold the 17\', moved to FL... I need a new handle.[br]1991 Jupiter 31, current project[br]2005 Everglades 243, sold[br]2012 Contender 23 Open sold[br]1989 Intrepid 246 WA--gone to Australia[br]1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets[br]1992 Mako 17--started it all[br]Pompano, FL

Comment

I repowered my 254 with twin 150 Mercury 4-strokes. I'm very happy with the result, but wouldn't want to go any heavier. Personally, I think the 175s would be a bit heavy on the back of your boat.

Comment

I repowered my 254 with twin 150 Mercury 4-strokes. I'm very happy with the result, but wouldn't want to go any heavier. Personally, I think the 175s would be a bit heavy on the back of your boat.

Comment

I run twin 225 opti's at 504 pounds each. It sits at about the same depth as it did without the bracket and twins.
                \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Texas 17

Thats a lot of weight. If you really want to go twins, Id suggest the non-Verado versions that are lighter weight than the Verado versions.

That boat does seem to perform very well with a single, and a 350 Verado or Zuke would likely be a better way to get that hp without so much weight.

I second this. Also to add that the new Mercs are light
                    1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Texas 17

I second this. Also to add that the new Mercs are light
                      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I wouldn't repower with verados, either Suzuki or Yamaha and 200's too heavy except for maybe the inline 4's

Comment

I wouldn't repower with verados, either Suzuki or Yamaha and 200's too heavy except for maybe the inline 4's

Comment

1979 25

Single 300 Verado. Cruise ~25mph ~2.4mpg. Top end is just shy of 40, but I think that is non-optimal prop and condition of bottom paint and hull overall. "should" be able to crack mid 40s, I think.

But setting aside whatever is stealing those last few mph, the motor has plenty of grunt for coming out of the hole and getting on plane. Even when tanks are full and there's extra bodies aboard.

I think 300 is a great number for the hull (single or twins), though I will admit, I have a much smaller fuel tank set up so I can see where if you are running a full load, you could want for a little more.
                            1972 Mako 22[br]1979 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                            X