Fuel Fill very slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Fill very slow

Curious what I can do to help a fuel fill problem. I have a 260 and unless I put fuel in slowly, it gurgles, bubbles, and fuel spits up and out, shutting off the nozzle. The vent is working. I fill until she starts to spit fuel out the vent. Gas station pumps have 3 stops I can lock the handle to the ON position. I can't even use the first of three.

Thanks,
    Rick Loszewski[br]Derry, NH

Partial obstruction in your vent line most likely.
    David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

In addition to a blockage in the vent, you could have an obstruction in the fill line. Things like the cap seal from a bottle of additive are common. You could have a degraded fuel hose also where the inner lining has degraded or collapsed.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check both.

Comment

Try turning the handle of the pump 45 degrees, to the left...and then to the right...sometimes you can get a cleaner flow of fuel by doing this...
          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

How old is your fill line? Mine was almost impossible to get gas in. Pulled my tank and looked in the fill line and the inner liner is almost completely collapsed and my vent was full of evaporated ethanol dust. Line was from 2004
            1988 Mako 261

Comment

How old is your fill line? Mine was almost impossible to get gas in. Pulled my tank and looked in the fill line and the inner liner is almost completely collapsed and my vent was full of evaporated ethanol dust. Line was from 2004
              1988 Mako 261

Comment

Changing the pump handle angle does help, but not quite enough. The fill and vent lines were replaced by the previous owner less than 5 years ago. I have the coffin lid off, and lines visually look good. Next is to remove the rod holder panel and see what's behind it. I'll remove both and make sure they are clear.

Comment

Changing the pump handle angle does help, but not quite enough. The fill and vent lines were replaced by the previous owner less than 5 years ago. I have the coffin lid off, and lines visually look good. Next is to remove the rod holder panel and see what's behind it. I'll remove both and make sure they are clear.

Comment

Can try one of these. No idea if they work but always wanted to get one for my buddy's Hewes that had similar issues.

Does your fuel line have a dip in it? This will cut off air flowing in the fill line, and while it will still work with a working vent, it means you're more likely to get periodic burps back at you.
                    Sold the 17\', moved to FL... I need a new handle.[br]1991 Jupiter 31, current project[br]2005 Everglades 243, sold[br]2012 Contender 23 Open sold[br]1989 Intrepid 246 WA--gone to Australia[br]1973 Mako 17--sold with regrets[br]1992 Mako 17--started it all[br]Pompano, FL

Comment

Interesting. My fishing buddy just experienced the same problem on his 2 year new boat. It was intermittent. Sometimes it filled easily and sometimes it was slooooow.

He brought it back to the dealer last October and they couldnt find the problem. A few weeks ago he noticed wasps flying around and crawling into the overflow vent fitting. The mud dobber wasps were crawling into the vent fitting and starting a nest. Hence, the vent hole was blocked by the mud.

This may or may not be your problem. But its something for everyone reading this to be aware of.
                      Capt Mud Flat[br]\'73 Mako 232[br]Mandeville, LA

Comment

My 230 is the same. It's sl oo wwww like molasses in February to fill.

Comment

My 230 is the same. It's sl oo wwww like molasses in February to fill.

Comment

Working...
                          X