What is your favorite trailer tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite trailer tire

Since I am going to Florida and back this June...it would probably be a good idea to replace the BAIS tires on my trailer[]...piece of mind!

My current tires are 205/75/14....I can read reviews online all day, but talking with people who know is a much better response in my mind. When it comes to tires I tend to spend more out of shear fear! Any comments are welcome and thank you in advance!
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

goodyear Marathons were always the top of the line trailer tire for years...Hopefully they are still as good. I usually buy the cheep ones and always have a spare...

The good ones will last 4 years...and the cheep ones will only last 48 months....[]

dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I had great performance from the dreaded carlisle's, but I had them balanced before installing, maintained air pressure before every trip and put tire covers on them when not in use, plus I parked them on a concrete pad. Before that I had a set of goodyear marathons that let go in spectacular fashion twice. IMO balancing them and maintaining air pressure is far more important then brand.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I also have been very happy with the Carlisle tires. I'm running size 7.00-15 LT.

There is nothing wrong with running bias tires on a trailer. They don't sway as much as radials. On a top heavy load such as ours I believe it is a good thing.

Size them for the weight they will have to carry. Bigger is better and they will run cooler.
        Ole Joe
        Just floundering around
        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
        1978 Mako 25

Comment

I agree with Sailor & have mine balanced as well. I was told that the rims were/are not made

to the close tolerances that your cars are made to & that balancing is a waste of money. Money well wasted IMO.
          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Most important is to purchase the correct load rating for your boat. These old Makos are heavy girls. We purchased new rims and tires this year because we're going to trailer rather than wet slip like we've done in previous years. I've hear that radials side walls are more flexible than Bias too. Load rating of at least "D" should suffice.
            Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I have not had good luck with the loadstar tires, which do not have very good highway tread pattern..more like offroad tires than drag behind the truck and roll easy tires. I replaced them with a set of supercargo tires from a local guy..nice straight grooves. Although I noticed that the sidewall is starting to alligator up in the tread even though I keep them pressured up and coated with protectant. Gonna have to replace them before next winter.
              Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Where else can you get a wealth of real life experience like this! Thanks to all. I currently have 205/75/14 bias tires. My reading and research tells me that a 215/75R14 ST in Load "D" would put me a 2200lbs per tire tire or 8800pound of towing capability op to 81 mph...glad to hear that if youve seen my wife drive! I don't havea weight slip on my loaded 25, but I can't believe its close to 8800lbs?????????

I have to check the added size from 205 to 215 but I think I have plenty. I am only choosing the radial because I want to eliminate heat going to the road to Florida. If I had room I would probably up to 15 inch rims.

I am looking at theses which have a pretty great following: https://www.etrailer.com/p-TTWTRTM2157514D.html

Comment

I had marathons for years

I dont think theyre made anymore
                  Coleman D Brown[br]6554 Florida Boulevard[br]Suite 233[br]Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806

Comment

I had a tire store mgr. tell me you can't balance trailer tires due to a difference in the rims from passenger tires. Didn't sound right to me. Agree with air pressure check, tire covers and concrete pads.

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

I had great performance from the dreaded carlisle's, but I had them balanced before installing, maintained air pressure before every trip and put tire covers on them when not in use, plus I parked them on a concrete pad. Before that I had a set of goodyear marathons that let go in spectacular fashion twice. IMO balancing them and maintaining air pressure is far more important then brand.

Comment

Balanced my share of tires and the machine has no idea what rim is on it.....I used to build engine and we would balance crankshafts in a very precise machine. I was always amazed what 1oz could do spinning at 5000rpms when you moved it out from the center. The pounds of force were AMAZING!

I balance everything.....just my $0.02
                      quote:

Originally posted by ahill

I had a tire store mgr. tell me you can't balance trailer tires due to a difference in the rims from passenger tires. Didn't sound right to me. Agree with air pressure check, tire covers and concrete pads.
                      quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Comment

"the machine has no idea what rim is on it"

Wheel is centered on the trailer via lug bolts. It is centered on the balancing machine via the center hole. It was explained to me that the center hole is not as accurate on the cheap trailer rims as a car rim.

With that said - I still get them balanced. Never sat on the empty trailer at 60 mph to see if it made a difference. If anyone has - let me know.
                        1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

I have balanced all of the tires on my trailers, especially in duals. I have had the unbalanced tires cause some weird vibrations on the way back and forth to florida from new jersey. It was annoying and after having the tires balanced, the trailer did not do it any longer.
                          Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

ahhhhh

I use a "road force balancer" these actually load the rim with road force while spinning. You also can but them on a lugged hub instead of using the center. Additionally when I mount I use a runout gauge before tightening the lugs...

Belt and suspender kind of guy[] I agree with everything you say and thank you!
                            quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

"the machine has no idea what rim is on it"

Wheel is centered on the trailer via lug bolts. It is centered on the balancing machine via the center hole. It was explained to me that the center hole is not as accurate on the cheap trailer rims as a car rim.

With that said - I still get them balanced. Never sat on the empty trailer at 60 mph to see if it made a difference. If anyone has - let me know.

Comment

I recently put on a pair of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, same size as yours. They're not cheap, but they're rated for 80mph. Won't be making a run to FL for a few months, but they pull very nicely so far on shorter trips. I've had some bad luck with cheaper tires I've tried, one too many blowouts and belts broken, so I got frustrated and spent the extra money. I'm only towing a flats boat, but I would think you'd get the same results with bigger Makos.

Comment

Working...
                              X