Switch Panel Illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Panel Illumination

Anyone find a dim red LED light bar or other method to illuminate the switch identification panel? Mine is on a 230 (walk around) with a concave panel, switched mounted on the upper side and ID engraving on the bottom. At night I cannot tell what switch is which. Haven't memorized and also want any passenger to see them in case something happens to me.

Either have a new panel made or put a courtesy light over the panel shining down.
    David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Could drill and insert small red LEDs in top of switch panel. Wire LEDs to nav light switch to illuminate when the nav lights are turned on.
      Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Panel is like the one pictured in top post. Switches are along the top. Lights could be mounted to the backside. I would prefer a separate switch that is easy to find so I can find the nav lights or bilge or any switch while anchored at night. The question is did anyone find one not how/where to mount. The LEDs I've found at auto parts stores are bright. Looking for dim red so as not to create bight light blindness.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 1988Mako230

Panel is like the one pictured in top post. Switches are along the top. Lights could be mounted to the backside. I would prefer a separate switch that is easy to find so I can find the nav lights or bilge or any switch while anchored at night. The question is did anyone find one not how/where to mount. The LEDs I've found at auto parts stores are bright. Looking for dim red so as not to create bight light blindness.

Top post? LEDs can be purchased with different intensity. Could wire them direct to ignition switch accessory lead so they are on all the time. Because of there low current draw this should not be an issue. By changing the value of the series resistor the brightness can farther be dimmed. The resistor Ohm requirement R=(V1-V2)/.02 where V1 equals source supply voltage, V2 equals LED operating voltage and 20mA is max. Current to LED. Increasing the resistance will decrease the brightness. Most automotive applications devices are not flexible. DIg key is one manufacturer most Radio Shack stores have closed in our area which used to have many hobbyist items. Total cost would be minimal.
          Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Working...
          X