BAD NEWS STORY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAD NEWS STORY

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED....THE TRANSOM MUST BE REPLACED....THE HORROR HAS REVEALED ITSELF. MEMBER HERE SINCE 06/2005 AND FROM DAY ONE THE IMPETUS HAS ALWAYS BEEN.....OMG THE TRANSOM. THE WORK , THE COST...THE PURE EVIL OF IT. I STILL REMEMBER BOB RANDALL IN SHEEPSHEAD BAY SPEAKING OF HIS WALK-THRU CRUISER INC TRANSOM WITH DREAD CIRCA 1970. CAUGHT A LOT OF BLUES, FLUKE AND WEAKFISH ON THAT BOAT IN THOSE DAYS. THE WEAKFISH BITE WAS EPIC THEN. IT WAS A GREAT EVIL OF REPAIRING WHAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN ALMOST DERELICT AND UNDERPOWERED BOAT BY TODAY'S STANDARDS. SO FROM DAY ONE, I HAVE READ THE DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS OF DIAGNOSING AND CORRECTING A ROTTEN TRANSOM SHOULD THAT BECOME NECESSARY. THE WRITINGS OF WARTHOG AND MANY OTHERS STILL ON THE FORUM...DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE... I HAVE READ THEM ALL NUMEROUS TIMES..AND THE EXCELLENCE SPEAKS FOR THEMSELVES AND I/WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE...THANKYOU..... SO I HAVE EVADED...TOOK PRECAUTION...CHECKED IT OUT THOROUGHLY; REPOWERED WITH ETEC G2 THREE YEARS AGO. SOUNDED IT OUT... HAMMER SOUNDING ALL GOOD... BUT THE WEIGHT, TORQUE AND YEARS NOW RENDER THE TRANSOM SOFT. NO INTERVENING PROCEDURES WILL WORK. INTERESTINGLY, I AM GETTING QUOTED 3-4K...LOT OF MARINE PROFESSIONALS AROUND HERE IN STUART, FL. ONE WANTED TO GO FROM THE INSIDE AND USE PVC AS CORE MATERIAL...THAT WAS 4 K...I AM SURE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN COSMETICALLY UP TO SPEED BUT PVC DOES NOT FIND ITSELF IN THE LITERATURE AND NOT ON CLASSIC MAKO. NOT STRUCTURALLY SOUND (558LBS ETEC G2) AND NOT COMPRESSION RESISTANT. LUCKILY, THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS OF RECOMMENDED GLASS GUYS. AND SO... GOING FROM THE OUTSIDE, USING COOSA, 1708 BIAXIAL AND POLYESTER, QUOTING 3K AND TWO WEEKS WORK TIME (AFTERALL POMPANO ARE HERE) GETS THE NOD. SCHEDULED TO GO IN ON MONDAY....BOAT IS BEING DE-RIGGED AT THE EVINRUDE MECHANIC NOW. ONE MUST HAVE THE ETEC G2 SPECIFIC LIFTING EYE WHICH SCREWS INTO THE FLYWHEEL TO HOIST THE ENGINE AND THE POWER STEERING HAS TO BE POWER PURGED BY ETEC G2 CERTIFIED MECHANIC TO ENSURE IT WORKS CORRECTLY. I AM NOT DOING IT MYSELF BUT BEING ON CLASSIC MAKO DOES MAKE ME A LITTLE DANGEROUS AND ENSURES I CAN SPEAK INTELLIGENTLY TO GET IT DONE CORRECTLY. THE GLASS GUYS GET THAT...I THINK THEY LIKE IT WHEN A CUSTOMER TAKES INTEREST IN THE FINER POINTS OF THEIR LABOR.....WELL AT LEAST I DO...MORE TO FOLLOW.
    EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

Who did you choose for the work? Several people always looking for good glass work.
    [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

HIS NAME IS LOUIS.....FORGET HIS COMPANY NAME.......WORKS MOBILE AND OUT OF TWO LOCATIONS...HOME AND SHOP OFF MONTEREY IN STUART. LET ME SEE HOW THINGS GO. I AM JUST GLAD THE ISSUE IS IDENTIFIED, MOTOR IS BEING PULLED AT ETEC GUY AND HEADED TO GLASS GUY IN SHORT ORDER. WILL ADVISE.

Comment

Wish I was closer Id be happy to redo it and right for much less.

Its really not that hard or expensive diy. Plus you have everyone on here to guide you.

Comment

I'm curious, I work in Palm city and say, good luck and have a solid transom when you're done!

I'm an enthusiastic non Mako owning member, but I fit in well![]

BWP
          [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

JUST WONDERING HOW ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THE TRANSOM REPAIRED EVALUATES HOW IT CAME OUT...HOW DOES THE BOAT HANDLE....WAS IT WORTH IT.....PERFORMANCE? CAVEATS.

Comment

100% worth it. While you are rebuilding the transom what mods are you doing? I would core the drain with pvc, as well as the deck drains. Are you going to close in the transom sides since you are running a single? That was the best modification I did during my transom rebuild.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

THE GARBOARD IS PVC SLEEVED. WILL LOOK INTO DECK DRAINS. I WILL LEAVE THE TRANSOM PROFILE ALONE.

Comment

SAILOR..ET AL. WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS EXACTLY...MY OBJECTIVE: WITH 558 LBS OF ETEC G2 ON TRANSOM....KEEP WEIGHT DOWN.....; RETAIN GREAT HANDLING.... NO PORPOISING.... SCUPPERS ABOVE WATER LINE. WHAT ABOUT SCUPPERS...KEEP ORIGINALS OR REPLACE....IF REPLACE...WHAT BRAND AND STYLE DO YOU RECOMMEND....ANY OTHER HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS?...I DO NOT GET FACE TO FACE AND TURN OVER BOAT TO GLASS GUY TIL MONDAY MORNING. THIS HULL IS A 221 AND HAS TRIM TABS THAT RETRACT INTO HULL..ANY CONSIDERATIONS THERE? MY POSITION ON ALL THIS IS BUY ONCE CRY ONCE.

Comment

Keep us informed.

There is a shop on the west side of Dixie in the row of warehouses just south of Scoponich that does fantastic work.

The have done a lot of work for Bill Potter.

Comment

OK TRANSOM COMPLETE..2 PLY HIGH DENSITY/STRENGTH COOSA.....1708 AND POLYESTER RESIN...PAINTED WITH AWLGRIP OYSTER WHITE.....LOOKS GREAT...LOUIS DID A GREAT JOB....SPECTRUM IS HIS COMPANY NAME..WORKS OUT OF GEM MARINE ON MONTEREY OFF US 1 IN STUART. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LOUIS...NICE GUY FUN TO WORK WITH...KEPT ME INFORMED..

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by explrgab

OK TRANSOM COMPLETE..2 PLY HIGH DENSITY/STRENGTH COOSA.....1708 AND POLYESTER RESIN...PAINTED WITH AWLGRIP OYSTER WHITE.....LOOKS GREAT...LOUIS DID A GREAT JOB....SPECTRUM IS HIS COMPANY NAME..WORKS OUT OF GEM MARINE ON MONTEREY OFF US 1 IN STUART. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LOUIS...NICE GUY FUN TO WORK WITH...KEPT ME INFORMED..

So it cost $4k?
                        Bill Murphy

Comment

3K FOR GLASS WORK.....$600 FOR REMOVAL STORE AND RE-INSTALL OF ETEC G2......ST LUCIE OUTBOARD IS A CERTIFIED EVINRUDE WARRANTY SHOP....THEY HAVE BEEN DOING ANNUAL MAINTENANCE. VERY SATISFIED WITH THEIR WORK....

Comment

3K FOR GLASS WORK.....$600 FOR REMOVAL STORE AND RE-INSTALL OF ETEC G2......ST LUCIE OUTBOARD IS A CERTIFIED EVINRUDE WARRANTY SHOP....THEY HAVE BEEN DOING ANNUAL MAINTENANCE. VERY SATISFIED WITH THEIR WORK....

Comment

Working...
                            X