Twin 175s on a classic 25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin 175s on a classic 25?

Curious about how much weight this hull can take. Twin f175s weigh 966lbs. A single 350 only weighs 763 lbs.

I have a 175 already. Trying to come out as cheap as possible.

As I understand it, many use twin 150s. They are only 3 lbs. lighter than the 175.

I would rather buy another 175 cr and be set as opposed to trying to sell my 21 with the 175 in order to buy a bigger single.

Any advice/opinions appreciated

Ps. No bracket

i read in your other post you were raising the transom? Id be concerned about the deck drains, id probably re route them above the water line anyways or use ball scuppers. with 2 guys on my stern my boat takes a little bit of water through the deck drains. im sure me and another guy are the weight of a second 175 about. I cant give an answer on how itd perform in regards to power to weight ratio.
    Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Thanks,Muzzy. Im in a bit of a pickle. I rebuilt a 21 and have a new f175 on it.

It would be easier and cheaper for me to save up and buy another 175 (I think) than trying to sell my 21 with the 175. If I could get 17 for my 21 package Id be thrilled. Then Id save a bit and get a 300. I dont like that much wait and despite how many feel, Im not at all worried to be 20 miles or more out with a single. Been stranded and towed on boats with twins and singles.

Anybody want a steal of a deal on a rebuilt 21 deep v

Keep an eye out in classifieds-its coming.

Comment

where are you located? i still have the other suzuki 250 i bought last year..... its a 2009 df250, i paid 5000 for the pair with rigging. im just running a single now.

i always run 20-40 miles with the single, i go on fair weather and have tow insurance.
        Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Muzzy I'm looking to re power and I would love to have a Suke. If you want to come off it I'd love to have it.
          '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

I flounder back and forth between Belmont and oak island nc

Comment

Wish I was closer!

Comment

I run a pair of DF140s on the transom of our 25. They weigh 410# each for a total of 820#. I believe that is about all I am willing to put back there without adding a floatation bracket.

Recently there was a 25 in CM Classifides that has a pair of Suzuki DF175s on it. Looking at the pics it was hard to tell if the scupper outlets were above water. The pic that shows the hull beached shows them below water, but with the hull off the beach they may not be.

I can't find the post...pretty sure I saw it here.
                Ole Joe
                Just floundering around
                White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                1978 Mako 25

Comment

I had twin 225's at one point. I would say the hull isn't built for speed and the ocean is rarely dead calm to use all that power. Drainage is kinda an issue but not bad with 910#. I did raise my drains though. Overall, I would say adding big twins, the cons outweigh (pun) the pros. I love the power to weight ratio of my 300 HPDI but who knows how long that will last
                  [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Mrdelgado, I think Im going single something. Hopefully f300. Ill likely raise the transom to 30-31 inches and be done with it. Im just trying to fish in a little more comfort than my current set up allows!. The weight difference is huge between single/twins

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tossedabout

Mrdelgado, I think Im going single something. Hopefully f300. Ill likely raise the transom to 30-31 inches and be done with it. Im just trying to fish in a little more comfort than my current set up allows!. The weight difference is huge between single/twins

Yeah, the simple math doesn't work with transoms. I went up 6" for a 30" leg and it's perfect. My next motor will be an F300 or Zuk 300 too. []
                      [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I have two 150 Mercury 4-strokes on mine and she rides well. I think they're pretty close in weight to the 175s.

Comment

you will have wet decks. The 25 wasn't designed for that much weight. Mine used to have twin evinrude 200's and I remember as a kid the decks have several inches of water in the back when fighting a fish and that was when the boat was probably only 6-7 years old so it didn't have a lot of wet foam. IMO a single 300 is the perfect match for the 25. Excellent performance, economy, and ride.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL
                          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks Sailor! Im going f300.

Hey I got a question about transom height. I raised the transom on my 21 rebuild from 20 inches to 26. I put a 25 inch f175 on her and it was perfect. Never takes on a drop of water.

I assume everyone talks about racing the height on the 25 from 25 inches to 30-31 for the same reason? I can get a 25 or 30 inch motor. I guess raising it is best to keep water out? Cant see any other reason.

Now if I can sell the 21 and motor or find some one who wants to trade for a 300!

Comment

Marc Muzzy, I'm still interested in that Suzuki if you're wanting to sell it. Please call me about it 863 six nine 8 1465.
                              '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X