Repower 221 weight question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower 221 weight question please

I have a 1999 221 with a '96, 225 Johnson Ocean Runner mounted on a 6" jack plate to the transom. The transom appears to be dry and stable from the best of my investigation. (Replaced scuppers and plug drain to find dry, hard material)

Even with as much care and love I have provided to the looper I am ready to repower for a little more peice of mind. (I tend to be a little more bold{stupid} than most when venturing offshore.)

My concern is the additional weight. She performs well as far of loaded weight with present configuration until everyone on board runs to the back on a rare occaision. It appears the E-tec is my lightest option.(roughly an additional 100#s). I obviously desire to add the minimal amount of weight as possible.

Thank you for input and options without breaking the bank.
    Jibber[br]Newnan, Ga to Orange Beach, Ala[br]99\' Mako 221

ETEC G2 200 HO @ 539 LBS IS FINE...ON MY BOAT......BATTERIES MOVED UNDER CONSOLE....U COULD EVEN GO TO 250 HP.... WEIGHT I BELIEVE IS THE SAME...THE 200 HO IS 220 HP AT THE PROP AS ADVERTISED...225 - 250 IS.... IN THE BIGGER IS BETTER CAMP.
    EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by explrgab

ETEC G2 200 HO @ 539 LBS IS FINE...ON MY BOAT......BATTERIES MOVED UNDER CONSOLE....U COULD EVEN GO TO 250 HP.... WEIGHT I BELIEVE IS THE SAME...THE 200 HO IS 220 HP AT THE PROP AS ADVERTISED...225 - 250 IS.... IN THE BIGGER IS BETTER CAMP.

Good info. thank you! I'm not a speed demon just want to maintain. I have been looking at "posted hp". If I can maintain similar hp at prop and be right at same weight that is perfect.

Comment

I have a 1995 231 with a 2016 Etec 200 HO and It does just fine. If I could choose I would go to the 250 HO but its what I was dealt. Either way, it's powerful, quiet and good on fuel. Did a 4 day trip to Bimini last summer with 4 people on board and loaded the hell down with supplies and luggage etc and burned 101 gallons
        1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by letsfish231

I have a 1995 231 with a 2016 Etec 200 HO and It does just fine. If I could choose I would go to the 250 HO but its what I was dealt. Either way, it's powerful, quiet and good on fuel. Did a 4 day trip to Bimini last summer with 4 people on board and loaded the hell down with supplies and luggage etc and burned 101 gallons

Thank you! HMMMM off to the Evinrude site to compare apples

Comment

Just a thought when comparing the G2 Etec to the G1 Etec which weighs less. The G2 has integrated steering and the oil tank is under the cowl. I think If you factor that in its going to be pretty close. G2 25" leg weighs 558lbs per evinrude website which includes a full tank of oil and the built in steering. G1 200 HO 25" weighs 524lbs plus whatever the steering weighs and whatever the oil tank and rigging weighs (my oil tank is located in the starboard rear corner of the boat so I figure it into the weight savings, if your oil tank is mounted up under the console then its a wash). there is a great write up at contiuouswave E-Tec G1-G2 comparison at 200 HP
            [br]Margate NJ[br]1989 Mako 211[br]2009 Etec 200 HO

Comment

ROGER THAT...SURFJOE....I KNEW IT WAS HEAVIER THAN THE 539LBS....WHICH IS WHAT I READ WHEN RESEARCHING WAY BEFORE I BOUGHT IT....IT'S A GOOD REMINDER....558LBS (25"). IT'S A LOT OF WEIGHT ON THE TRANSOM....THE WAY I HAVE THE BOAT CONFIGURED NOW IT RUNS WELL....THAT IS WITH A 30 GALLON ON DECK LIVE WELL....WHEN IT IS FULL AND IN USE THE BOAT IS HEAVY....I DO NOT USE IT IN SPORTY SEAS OR ALL THE TIME....AND I EMPTY IT WHEN COMING BACK AND RUNNING THE INLET IF NECESSARY.....SO U HAVE TO KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS WITH THE BOAT. THE WEIGHT OF THE ENGINE (558 LBS) IS BOWING THE TRANSOM A BIT OVER TIME NOW AND IT IS PRUDENT FOR ME NOW TO GET THE TRANSOM REPLACED WHICH IS ENDEMIC TO MAKO...AND MANY OTHERS. IT NEVER ENDS. I CANNOT HAVE THAT MUCH $ HANGING OFF THE BACK AND HAVE A TRANSOM GOING SOFT.
              EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

Comment

Working...
              X