Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller or Bunk____7k or 10k

I have a mako 25

Have a 10k roller galv, springs and no title. The work and aggravation of trying to get a title is pushing me towards a new one.

Boat will be wet slipped , but I will tow it around some times and need to make 100mile trip home twice a year.

Ramps we use go from shallow to steep and tides are usually very strong

What are you guys using ?

I use an old 6500# roller trailer. It's maxed out. Tandem axles are spring mounted. Should have gone to torsion suspension when I replaced the springs about 5+ years ago, but did not consider it.

Always thought I would prefer bunks until reading a post here about a month ago. The writer had to deal with some steep ramps and large tidal shift. It made me realize some of the old ramps (short and shallow) here on the Chesapeake and on the Maryland coast would be impossible for me with a bunk trailer.

Consider electric over hydraulic brakes on both axles. Its the best thing I did to that trailer hauling 200 miles each way with Interstate Hwy traffic.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Always always always bunks. To much hassle with rollers unless you have skinny waters.
      Brian Duff[br]1988 Mako 211-Sold [br]1991 Mako 231 special edition[br]2001 Yamaha 250 ox66[br]Toms River, NJ[br][br]

Comment

Always always always bunks. To much hassle with rollers unless you have skinny waters.
        Brian Duff[br]1988 Mako 211-Sold [br]1991 Mako 231 special edition[br]2001 Yamaha 250 ox66[br]Toms River, NJ[br][br]

Comment

Gotta disagree about bunk trailer up here in north waters. We have a roller trailer (64) with torsion suspension and hydraulic disc brakes. Past spring replaced all rollers, new calipers, bearing , seals and brake pads. Had trailer for over 5 years purchased from dealer used. We wet slipped the past few years but will be trailering now. With rollers I just give the boat a push and it rolls right off. Many of the ramps up north are steep and at low tide makes it difficult but not with roller trailer. It really depends on each particular situation but I'm satified with rollers with our 250. We do all our own mechanical work so costs are just parts.
          Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

If your ramps will allow you to sink the trailer deep enough, go bunk.
            2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Working...
            X