Mako 231 casting deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 231 casting deck

I would like to make or have something made for my 89 231 that would fill the middle of the bow seating and make it a complete casting platform. Looking for any information from some who may have done or have ideas on the best way to go about it. I was leaning towards making a template out of cardboard and then using starboard or marine ply as the insert. Not sure how to support the insert or whether I should add legs ect. Would like it to be flush with the surrounding seats. Thank You

The original 25's had a teak insert for that purpose. It was identical to the open grid teak swim platform seen on the old 236 models. Seems to me it was construted using 1"x1" teak grid and sat on teak rails fastenened to the face of the seats. It was a nice looking set up.

It may be more elaborate than you want, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks Flounder I will do some research on the 25 and get some ideas.

Comment

This is what the teak pattern used by Mako looked like. This pic is actually of a shower table top.

Ole Joe
        Just floundering around
        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
        1978 Mako 25

Comment

I have had the same idea for my 231

The way I am going to go about it wil be

a ledger around the inside of the fwd seating recessed to the thickness of the insert material (top to bottom) so it sits flush.

The insert will rest on this ledger.

On the insert I will have a folding leg fwd and aft of the insert for support.

On the bottom side of the insert I plan on using stainless barrel bolts that slide into the fwd seatings ledger locking the fwd/aft movement of the insert.

What I do not have figured out is what the insert will be made of or the ledger pieces that will be permanent on the fwd seating.

I know the ledger will have rounded edges and not stick out too far where they get bumped into.

And the insert I'd like to have something kinda light but strong so I was thinking 1/2in starboard but haven't got that far.

Just my idea I thought I would share. Good luck take pictures of you come up with something.
          Fort Lauderdale, FL[br]1990 231 Mako[br]1998 Keywest 1720[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48918[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57912[br][/url]

Comment

Cd Mako 21. Send me your email address and Ill send you pictures.
            Brian Duff[br]1988 Mako 211-Sold [br]1991 Mako 231 special edition[br]2001 Yamaha 250 ox66[br]Toms River, NJ[br][br]

Comment

Suggest using 3/4" starboard rather than 1/2" because it would not flex under weight. Another issue to consider is how slippery the surface of starboard might get. We had gunnel boards fabricated from 3/4" starboard with knurled pattern which have worked out well.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I found the original insert to make the casting deck and have it bungeed to the insides below it on my 1996 232B. so it wont pop out of place over some waves.

Do some research and you may be able to score an original and repair dings like I did.

Just search it is awesome

Comment

Working...
                X