Sea Tow vs Tow Boat US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Tow vs Tow Boat US

Pros and cons to each? I know it depends a lot on who has a better presence in your area but I'd like to know personal opinions. Especially from the guys that live in Florida.
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

I used both at different times in the Jax/St. Augustine area between 2002-2016, and Sarasota from 2016-present.

I strongly prefer Tow Boat.

They are just easier to deal with and get the job done without any hassles.

Sea Tow always seemed to be looking for reasons not to help or to charge more.
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

I have had both over the years. I currently run Boat US. Both are fine in my area, Stuart Florida.

There is 1 key difference that could help your decision. Boat US covers you. Any boat you are on is covered.

Sea tow covers the boat. Doesnt matter who is in it, it is covered.

So depending on your needs the decision can be easy. I fish a few different boats so Boat US is the way for me at the moment.
      Thanks!!!

Comment

I'll soon be needing a tow service and launch at Sandsprit, and Stan Blum Ft Pierce.

Good to know about US boats, pops, Boat US.

BWP
        [br]Starcraft Bluewater 180, 1988[br]1996 Mercury 115 2+2 exlpto[br]Project Link: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46572

Comment

We ended up going with Boat US. Hopefully we'll never need it but if we do we've got it.
          '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

I SEE MORE TOW BOAT THAN SEA TOW AROUND STUART. I HAVE ALWAYS USED SEA TOW....BUT NEVER HAD TO USE THEM...KNOCK ON WOOD.
            EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

Comment

wireless that might be somewhat accurate? but was not in our case few years ago. We had a boat us member on the boat we were fishing on and he was a guest of the owner as I was and we paid full price for the tow in. As was explained to us if I remember right, if it was a boat the boat us friend had rented? then we would have been covered. But someone else's boat, that owned the boat and had no membership that needed the tow? We got charged. Don't quote me on the particulars that's what I remember

Comment

They are local businesses under main company the name. It will vary from location to location depending on who manages the local business and how good they are. If you are curious on which one is best in your area, find a local Coast Guard station and ask someone there from the boat crew who they feels is best. The CG overlaps a lot with the tow companies and you'll get first hand details.

D-
                Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ddd222

wireless that might be somewhat accurate? but was not in our case few years ago. We had a boat us member on the boat we were fishing on and he was a guest of the owner as I was and we paid full price for the tow in. As was explained to us if I remember right, if it was a boat the boat us friend had rented? then we would have been covered. But someone else's boat, that owned the boat and had no membership that needed the tow? We got charged. Don't quote me on the particulars that's what I remember

Thats interesting. Not how the contract reads. Most of the other people I fish with also have Boat US. I keep it because I have multiple boats and it covers them all.
                  Thanks!!!

Comment

Fortunately, here in St Pete, Eckerd College has a search & rescue dept that will tow you in from up to 10 miles away. Donations are accepted.

I know this is a local luxury.
                    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Wireless, definitely a grey area from what I've heard. We were in the fla Keys hundreds of miles away from the boat us members homeport, maybe that is why we were charged? But this is how the boat us FAQ reads

"Does BoatUS Towing Service apply if I am a guest on a friend's boat?

If the owner of the boat is present, regardless of who is at the helm, the owner would be responsible for having the appropriate towing service, not the guest BoatUS Member on board. BoatUS towing provides for any instance the Member is considered the Captain and responsible for the care and control of the boat."

Comment

Ive been extremely happy with tow boat US
                        1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Working...
                        X