Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 and twin 150 optimax

Hi ,new to the site. first post long ,time reader

I have a 1980 25 ,raised transom for single 30" 300 was the plan . I got a great deal on low hours 2006 ,freshwater run opti 150s.

Anyone run them on a 25? Im a little worried about weight but I have taken the fish box out and am putting in a coosa deck and all the gas soaked wet foam is gone.

Ill post up some pics and get a project thread started as soon as I figure out how

Thanks

I personally dont think you will have a weight issue with the Optimax engines. I had a 23 with twin 140 johnsons and it was fine. Have you measured your transom at the spot where you want to mount the twins? You need to maintain the correct height for your model outboards. IE 20 or 25 inch units...
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

You should be fine but I would make sure all oil tanks and batteries are located under the console to help balance out the boat. A lot of it depends on if you have any wet foam in the boat, but most older 25's rigged with twins will get water in the scuppers at rest when one or two grown people are in the stern.
      quote:

Originally posted by davegibbs

Hi ,new to the site. first post long ,time reader

I have a 1980 25 ,raised transom for single 30" 300 was the plan . I got a great deal on low hours 2006 ,freshwater run opti 150s.

Anyone run them on a 25? Im a little worried about weight but I have taken the fish box out and am putting in a coosa deck and all the gas soaked wet foam is gone.

Ill post up some pics and get a project thread started as soon as I figure out how

Thanks

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks

Transom has been raised 5" for a single 30 or twin 25" , my motors are 25" so I have that covered. All wet foam has been removed. Batteries and oil tanks will be in console.

Transom fish box removed and splash well is being sectioned and raised 5" to match new transom height.

I want to add a second set of scuppers. An 1 1/4 thru hull in the area of the existing deck drain depression going straight out through the transom. (regulator type but with hose) Since it would be straight with no 90 degree turn , it would be about 2 1/2" higher than the original transom thru hull. Anyone ever done something like this?

Comment

Comment

Sounds like it will be a well balanced rig! Please make sure to report back after your first sea trial. Have you cut out the fish box yet? The picture below still shows it.
            quote:

Originally posted by davegibbs

Thanks

Transom has been raised 5" for a single 30 or twin 25" , my motors are 25" so I have that covered. All wet foam has been removed. Batteries and oil tanks will be in console.

Transom fish box removed and splash well is being sectioned and raised 5" to match new transom height.

I want to add a second set of scuppers. An 1 1/4 thru hull in the area of the existing deck drain depression going straight out through the transom. (regulator type but with hose) Since it would be straight with no 90 degree turn , it would be about 2 1/2" higher than the original transom thru hull. Anyone ever done something like this?

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I see that you are using imgur, please select edit your photo, in the upper right hand corner change the first number to 500, the second number will change to keep the aspect ratio the same, save the photo and you are good to go. Any photos you have already posted you will have to remove the old link and copy in the new one.
              David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Working...
              X