Bow mount on 21' Mako center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow mount on 21' Mako center console

I'm looking into installing a bow mount on my 1989 21' Mako 21B and am wondering whether this would be underpowered in any water with a decent current ripping. My concern even at 36V is that this may be too much boat for a bow mount to function effectively. Any thoughts would be appreciated.. Thanks!

I think youd be fine, within the last month or two I believe someone made a thread about doing the same thing. Hopefully theyll chime in or look through the project section
    1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

I had a 36 V 109 thrust trolling motor on the bow of my 224. It had PLENTY of steam for all but impossibly windy days.

Two things to consider:

1- Make sure to get a long enough shaft, so the prop stays in the water when the water gets rough... IIRC, I had the longest available without resorting to a custom made one (at the time) at 62"...

2- I had an initial issue with that long of a shaft, and being fully deployed, in that the originally supplied rubber "nut-sert" type mount fasteners, split the rubber, and pulled out of the drilled holes in the gunwale, allowing the whole assembly to nearly go over-board. Thankfully, I was able to shut it down, and catch it before it went into the drink...

I corrected this problem by cutting off the brass nuts in the originally supplied mounts, and replacing them with large washers and stainless "ny-loc" nuts to allow "through-bolting" the bracket. Problem never re-surfaced... []
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Working...
      X