Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walkaround Models questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Walkaround Models questions

    Backstory:

    I've always had older, cheap boats. Personal life things were settling in, becoming 2 income household, etc, etc, etc. I got tired of working on house and boat projects and bought a nearly new boat (Pioneer). It has been fantastic. But, split happened, sold a house, bought another house, been dumping money into the house for renovations. I need to cut the costs of the $30k boat and go back to something without a boat loan. So here I am, again, same place I was a handful of years ago.

    Boat uses:

    bottom fishing 30+ miles offshore

    offshore trolling 50+ miles out a few times a year as the weather allows

    cruising and sandbar through the bulk of the hottest summer months when everyone else just wants to be on the boat

    overnight ICW cruises / camping a couple times a year

    once or twice a year trailer trips - up to NC or down home to FL scalloping

    Ideally (I know up front I'm not gonna get all this):

    Cabin headroom to stand up

    V-berth for 2, and long enough for me at almost 6'

    Small freshwater tank

    Head

    Requirements:

    Hardtop or canvas - no bimini

    Towable by 2017 1500 GMC. I mean it's Max Tow equipped, 10,400 rating, or something just over 10k, but no way the truck is comfortable towing that much

    Let's say budget is +/-10k, give or take. Now we're talking a perfect boat here...

    Boats on my list right now:

    Albemarle 24 express

    Blackfin 25 Combi

    Grady 25 Sailfish

    Grady 24 Voyager

    Mako 240/248

    Mako 250

    Mako 243

    Short Story - My actual questions:

    The 25 Sailfish and 243 are really the only ones that give everything on the list. The Albe and Blackfin probably have the most praised ride. Albe berth is plenty long but no headroom, head, etc. It's spartan. I was actually working on an Albe when I threw in the towel and bought the Pioneer. And the thing I like least, and actually makes me so frustrated with the Mako, is the 2 piece build with an inner liner with no toe kick space of any kind. Drives me nuts. Anyways,

    How much headroom in the cabin on the 248, 250, and 243?

    How long are the v-berths in the 248, 250, and 243?

    And most importantly, anybody in Charleston, or nearby, have a 248, 250, or 243 that could let me check it out and exchange a ride for gas and beers?

    And does anybody want to buy a sweet 2015 Pioneer 197 Islander?? []

  • #2
    My 250 has everything you list except the head. I overnight in the boat routinely, I have even installed hot water heater and heat and AC. I am 6 ft tall and can stand in the cabin, I may have my head slightly bent down but I don't even notice it if I do. There is plenty of room to sleep 2 adults in the cabin. I have made some modifications (like removing the closet) that make that even better.

    I am not sure what you mean about no toe kick room, my 250 has plenty and is a very comfortable bottom fishing platform.

    I will tell you that the 250 is pretty heavy, it killed the rear end on my chevy suburban twice, I now tow with a Tundra.
    David, New Kent, Va[br]



    [br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, your 250 is a prime example of what it can become!

      Headroom is plenty in that for sure. By stand, I just mean enough to be able to stand up and put on some clean skivvies in the morning without having to be laid down like in the Albemarle or other low cuddys, 228, 258, etc.

      I even saw a 230B that I thought might be big enough, but I'm pretty sure it sold a while back. The cockpit in it was also mimicking a 3 piece hull too.

      The toe kick I mean the classic 2 piece vs. 3 piece. In the Mako I don't like the bottom "lip" of the rod holders on each side. Even in Dad's 293 I always felt more off balance than something like the Albemarle where you can get your feet more underneath you and still lean on the gunwale without being out on my toes more. My 224 was the same as the 293, more off balance feeling at the gunwales.

      Can't figure out pictures. But here's a few.

      https://photos.app.goo.gl/D94smxCK5NeAnbkT9

      Comment


      • #4
        quote:


        Originally posted by andyb


        Yes, your 250 is a prime example of what it can become!


        Headroom is plenty in that for sure. By stand, I just mean enough to be able to stand up and put on some clean skivvies in the morning without having to be laid down like in the Albemarle or other low cuddys, 228, 258, etc.

        I even saw a 230B that I thought might be big enough, but I'm pretty sure it sold a while back. The cockpit in it was also mimicking a 3 piece hull too.

        The toe kick I mean the classic 2 piece vs. 3 piece. In the Mako I don't like the bottom "lip" of the rod holders on each side. Even in Dad's 293 I always felt more off balance than something like the Albemarle where you can get your feet more underneath you and still lean on the gunwale without being out on my toes more. My 224 was the same as the 293, more off balance feeling at the gunwales.

        Can't figure out pictures. But here's a few.

        https://photos.app.goo.gl/D94smxCK5NeAnbkT9


        The 250 is not like that, plenty of tie kick room
        David, New Kent, Va[br]



        [br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:


          Originally posted by Triplecrownnc


          The 250 is not like that, plenty of tie kick room



          Gotcha, I see that now scrolling your project pictures again. Yours is like the 230B pictures in my link. 230B is the one with the teak covering boards, again like yours.

          https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...b-w-a-6768982/

          But, that ugly azz green upholstery is also a 1992 250B for sale right now in AL.

          Pop yachts, price, yada yada, but just for sake of pictures and gunwale style: https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...round-5882138/

          Noted, I'll have to keep a close eye for one of the correct year to be of the more favorable (to me, at least) design.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mine is a 1987 248 walk-around. Seems to have everything you're looking for: standing headroom in cuddy, head with curtained shower, V-berth with dining table, large cockpit. These were only made for a few years so might be hard to find.
            \"Anything seems possible when you don\'t know what you\'re doing.\"

            Comment


            • #7
              I actual see quite a few 248 for sale right now. More than usual. How long is the v-berth in your 248?

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:


                Originally posted by andyb


                quote:


                Originally posted by Triplecrownnc


                The 250 is not like that, plenty of tie kick room



                Gotcha, I see that now scrolling your project pictures again. Yours is like the 230B pictures in my link. 230B is the one with the teak covering boards, again like yours.

                https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...b-w-a-6768982/

                But, that ugly azz green upholstery is also a 1992 250B for sale right now in AL.

                Pop yachts, price, yada yada, but just for sake of pictures and gunwale style: https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...round-5882138/

                Noted, I'll have to keep a close eye for one of the correct year to be of the more favorable (to me, at least) design.



                that boat is in really rough shape, not cared for at all. The windows and hatch are leaking, the water in the cabin locker would concern me, the penetrations of the top through the cabin are leaking, the penetration into the hard top are leaking and for sure the core is water logged. Wiring is a mess. Damage to the hull and the trailer not hitting on much.
                David, New Kent, Va[br]



                [br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah I agree. NOT interested in that particular one at all. It was just a example to use for gunwale style difference explanation.

                  This was the 250 that peaked my interest. Could be just a little lipstick on a pig scenario. No mention of fuel tank and those look like original engines, theyre not actually SWSII

                  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2319409246248/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    See the 240 on THT?

                    https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...=#post11984012
                    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I gotta get my Pioneer squared away before I can jump. Just trying to narrow down to 1 or 2 models right now.
                      quote:


                      Originally posted by ChuckB


                      See the 240 on THT?


                      https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...=#post11984012


                      Yeah I'm following along. But I personally think $19k is way off. Flop over cash in the teens to buy it, then another 5k to have a top built, plus whatever else old boat issues I'm sure it has.

                      https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/b...744630337.html

                      http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57135

                      https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...round-6210222/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Gotcha. I do not know about cabin area, but I always liked the 248. It seemed to have a huge cockpit and was a true walk around...

                        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=24292
                        \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                        \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I enjoy my 238 and its a tank for its size. I can usually hold my own in snotty stuff and I fish in some extreme weather. For me it comes down to it very versatile. The 260 is probably my favorite cabin boat by Mako. I cant stand up in mine but I dont see it as a problem. Slight huntch. I have overnighted multiple times. I have no modern luxuries as heat or ac but have learned to grind it out.
                          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Go and look at a couple of Grady's. I had a 23 Gulfstream for 6 years as my last ocean boat. It was very comfortable and the cabin was surprisingly roomy, although it did not have an enclosed head, you have to step up to the 25 for that. I sold mine with newer 4 strokes and full canvas 2 years ago for 11K. It was fish ready and the used market sucked, so I had to take what I could get as I had bought a second house and was not using the boat.
                            Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              quote:


                              Originally posted by andyb


                              ...How long is the v-berth in your 248?



                              There is 6'2" maximum standing headroom and the berths are about the same.
                              \"Anything seems possible when you don\'t know what you\'re doing.\"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X