Order of preference???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of preference???

Hopefully I can get some input from some you gentlemen that have done what I'm looking to do. I want to prioritize my to do's in the most logical order so as to not have to redo, or move backwards when I'm trying to move forward. I'm going to list my ideas and would love you guys opinions, comments, suggestions and advice on a starting and finishing point.

1 New fuel tank, lines and recored coffin lid

2 Rework the console and upgrade electronics

3 Replace t-top with hardtop with all the goodies (6 rod holders across the back, outriggers, LED lights, crows nest with no controls, radar, electronics box etc)

4 Replace the transom to include closing it in, removal of aft storage boxes, add a bracket

5 Repair all cracks, holes and dings in the fiberglass and have boat painted inside and out.

6 Add knick knacks like rod holders and such

7 Wanting to add a freshwater wash down and tank

8 Brand new trailer.

I'm sure I am forgetting something but thats most of it. Thank you all in advance

Matt
    1995 231 Tuppens

I'd eliminate the bracket idea entirely but that's just me. []

Hard to say with your list because we don't know the current state of your boat and how badly you need these things. We also don't know your time frame. You looking to do all this by next season or sometime within the next decade?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mako224

Hard to say with your list because we don't know the current state of your boat and how badly you need these things. We also don't know your time frame. You looking to do all this by next season or sometime within the next decade?

Just out of curiosity, why would you eliminate the bracket idea? Looks? Weight issues?

I'll attach the project thread I started earlier this year on it, but it is in good shape. A lot of it is cosmetic and personal for me not really out of necessity. The only possible pressing issue is something with the fuel/fuel tank. Heavy fuel smell under the console. Upon inspection found raw fuel on top of the tank by the fill line. My time frame is not pressing mainly because I don't have the money or the time to knock it out fast. So this is going to start out as my 5 year plan. The transom is strong as far as I can tell, but when I pulled out the brass sleeve for the main drain and replaced with a garboard style, water would weep out of the wood. So I am certain there are some wet areas. Boat ran great to bimini this summer.
      1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=59030
        1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

I reordered your list how I would with some comments

1 New fuel tank, lines and recored coffin lid (I don't want fuel in my bilge or water in my fuel)

2 Rework the console and upgrade electronics (I'd do some of this, esp wiring if needed together with the fuel tank since you'd remove it for the fuel tank work anyways)

3a Replace the transom to include closing it in, removal of aft storage boxes, add a bracket (with the transom, I'd say run it unless you see cracks or other signs that it's shot. I raised mine and added splash wells, not sure if you need the bracket or if its worth it but if the current one is gone then do what you want most)

3b Brand new trailer (depends on if it's serviceable, distance to launch, etc.)

3 Replace t-top with hardtop with all the goodies (6 rod holders across the back, outriggers, LED lights, crows nest with no controls, radar, electronics box etc) (luxury item but if you want it, do it before repairing holes, etc.)

5 Repair all cracks, holes and dings in the fiberglass and have boat painted inside and out.

6 Add knick knacks like rod holders and such (you never finish this IMO)

7 Wanting to add a freshwater wash down and tank (luxury item IMO)
          [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dipmiami

I reordered your list how I would with some comments

1 New fuel tank, lines and recored coffin lid (I don't want fuel in my bilge or water in my fuel)

2 Rework the console and upgrade electronics (I'd do some of this, esp wiring if needed together with the fuel tank since you'd remove it for the fuel tank work anyways)

3a Replace the transom to include closing it in, removal of aft storage boxes, add a bracket (with the transom, I'd say run it unless you see cracks or other signs that it's shot. I raised mine and added splash wells, not sure if you need the bracket or if its worth it but if the current one is gone then do what you want most)

3b Brand new trailer (depends on if it's serviceable, distance to launch, etc.)

3 Replace t-top with hardtop with all the goodies (6 rod holders across the back, outriggers, LED lights, crows nest with no controls, radar, electronics box etc) (luxury item but if you want it, do it before repairing holes, etc.)

6 Add knick knacks like rod holders and such (you never finish this IMO)

7 Wanting to add a freshwater wash down and tank (luxury item IMO)

Dip I truly appreciate it!! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I know some of the items are luxury, but seeing as how I'm going to hold on to the boat for a while I don't mind. Especially since the wife will be joining on the long trips like bahamas.
            1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

No problem, it actually felt good realizing the big projects I've managed to cross off my own list!

Keep in mind that your attitude may be different than mine on priority. To me, cosmetics and luxury come second to function and actually being on the water, so I tend to put off those types of projects. I figure that the best time to paint a boat is right before selling so you can ask for a premium, but who knows if that's how it works. I do admit that my rebuild will most likely never look as beautiful as some of the projects on here, but I love the fact that as a weekend warrior, I'm coming up on 1 year of ownership, 7 months of working on the boat, and 15 trips in the remaining 5 months.

Also, any boat projects that are approved/encouraged by the wife are always good to do.
              [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

First, get all the destruction out of the way, and the removal of bad/obsolete equipment and anything requiring removal for re-bedding and preparation for paint and glass repairs.

Then do all the fiberglass repairs, including transom and console mods.

Install the new fuel tank and lines; close the deck.

Next, the paint work.

Then install the new hardware, T-top and electronics, rewire, etc.

Last, put it on a new trailer.
                \"Anything seems possible when you don\'t know what you\'re doing.\"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by letsfish231

quote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you eliminate the bracket idea? Looks? Weight issues?

Weight issues and ride issues. I'm not a fan of brackets.

Comment

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by letsfish231

quote:

Weight issues and ride issues. I'm not a fan of brackets.

Well let me ask this then, if I were to redo the transom, is it possible to build it strong enough to support and 4 stroke and not jack up the ride or keep it from being to stern heavy?
                    1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

I have a 600# Suzuki hanging off mine and so do others. No problem. Plus Im currently in the process of adding a bracket. There are lot of things to consider and their is a certain risk factor with.
                      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I had a 231 and I added a bracket and 250 opti. Heres howd Id do it:

Pull tank and replace, slide it forward to help offset bracket down the road.

Rewire, and clean up console when you get it reinstalled after tank. (Add provisions for future knock knack electronics, wash down pump etc)

Full transom, raise aft floor, crack repair, paint, bracket

Hardtop, washdown, repower, trailer as needed or time/funds allow.

Id leave the aft boxes, cant have too much storage and adding a bracket frees up space
                        1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

I love all the opinions and the feedback we share. Boy boat owners are all over the place. I for one added a bracket and new 4 stroke. Runs great and space is wonderful. I did not replace the transom. It was pretty dry and with the bracket the weight is distributed more evenly. NO signs of wear and tear. I would leave that for now.

1. Tank and lid- Get it done and seal it back up. If you have space to slide tank up I would highly think about it.

1A- If you dig out the foam under the console to slide the tank I would dig a litte further to add the fresh water tank. You could also go portable like the big Kahuna tank. They are pretty convenient.

1B- Do you live bait a lot? I would think about a leaning post live-well. Much better then in floor. Run plumbing while tank are is open.

2. If you are set on a new T-Top then I would combine that with the console rework. It will change a lot of layout and design.The package you are looking at is 10-12K with good electronics and outriggers and the fancy stuff

3. I love my aft storage boxes gone. Brand new dance floor. If you have the time do it. raise the aft floor add a transom fill cap and add the bracket.

4. Does it need new paint or a really good wet sand, buff and polish?

5. Nick knacks- As said this is on-going. never enough items to have like rod holders, cutting boards etc.

Trailer is also open ended. I trailer 100 miles each way to a ramp. I need a solid frame under me.
                          [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Working...
                          X