Trailer Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Recommendation

Just lost a wheel bearing on the trailer for my 1992 221. While jacking it up I discovered that the bottom of the main support square tubing is paper thin. The trailer is a roller trailer manufactured by the now defunct Long Trailer Company. Time for a replacement.

Looking for recommendations on what the members have found to work well. I have only ever used roller trailers but bunk style trailers certainly have less to maintain. I would be curious about how people find loading and unloading boats of this size on bunk trailers. The boat is kept on a salt water slip so the trailer is only used twice a year for launch/haul. The boat is also stored on it during the offseason. The roundtrip ride each season is less than 5 miles.

Also, my current trailer has two keel rollers and most of the newer model trailers do not seem to have them??
    1992 Mako 221[br]2013 Evinrude E-Tec 250

You need to give location? I assume since only used roller you are in the NE. If that is the case, members in your area can share pros and cons of bunk vs roller as well as manufacturers.

I have a favorite, that builds an amazing trailer, but they build bunk trailers and are located on the MS Coast.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

I have a 23' and 21' and have purchased 2 Venture bunk trailers - I am very happy with them - I had a roller trailer before on the 21' and I promise you that you'll find it so much easier with the bunk trailer - In all my research, I found the Venture to be well priced in the market compared to the others - for the most part, I found all the structure to be similar

Comment

I have used both bunk trailers and roller trailers for my boats. I currently have a Venture Roller Trailer for my 261 and LOVE it! I am AMAZED at how easy it is to crank my boat on to this trailer. I have a manual winch and the roller design of this trailer provides zero resistance in the loading. The launching is equally easy - Hit the brakes at the ramp and the boat just glides off.

I live on a river with fairly significant tide changes so I have found the roller trailers are easier to use when launching in the low tides. I frequently had difficulty floating the boat off of the bunks when the tide was too low.

Last fall, I did an overhaul on the trailer's suspension and I am good to go another 10 years! Like you, I only use the trailer a couple of times a year - but it is good to know that you have a good and reliable trailer when you need it.

Comment

I have used both bunk trailers and roller trailers for my boats. I currently have a Venture Roller Trailer for my 261 and LOVE it! I am AMAZED at how easy it is to crank my boat on to this trailer. I have a manual winch and the roller design of this trailer provides zero resistance in the loading. The launching is equally easy - Hit the brakes at the ramp and the boat just glides off.

I live on a river with fairly significant tide changes so I have found the roller trailers are easier to use when launching in the low tides. I frequently had difficulty floating the boat off of the bunks when the tide was too low.

Last fall, I did an overhaul on the trailer's suspension and I am good to go another 10 years! Like you, I only use the trailer a couple of times a year - but it is good to know that you have a good and reliable trailer when you need it.

Comment

I gave my dad a brand new trailer that i found for dirt cheap so he is selling his. Trailer just made the 300 mile trip with his angler 230B to the cape and then back to NJ, trailers solid if you dont want to spend the price of a new trailer

https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-...e-trailer.html And its best offer as he wants to bring his boat back home but has to get rid of this trailer first. Its a bunk that has been used all over the east coast without issues
            *on the hunt for a 241/261*[br]1989 Mako 210 (sold and missed)

Comment

Agree on the Venture trailers.

If my advice is worth anything, I recommend the following...

Don't cheap out on weight class of the trailer, seriously consider going to the next up weight class for what you "think" your boat & gear weigh.

Ask if they offer the posi-lube spindles.

Upgrade the brakes if they offer a heavier duty package, even if your state only requires brakes on one axle, spend the extra now for the second axle brakes.

Go with LED lighting package.

A few more dollars now makes for a longer lasting, more comfortable towing trailer.
              1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
              Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

Given how little trailering the original poster does I'd just buy a used trailer on craigslist. Since he slips his boat and only launches a couple times a year it really doesn't matter if its roller or bunk.

As for me, I would never have anything other than a roller trailer. Most ramps in these parts suck and given our tidal swings there are plenty of ramps I use where there would be 2 hours at the bottom of the tide where you would have no hope of getting your boat onto a bunk trailer. Bunk trailers are for people who never encounter sheetty ramps and real low tides.

Comment

That is interesting.

I have always had roller trailers and have always thought that a bunk trailer would be better for me. Considering your comments and my useage, I realize that the roller trailer is actually better in my case.
                  Ole Joe
                  Just floundering around
                  White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                  1978 Mako 25

Comment

Looks like the OP was a "Post & Run", but I'll chime in anyway. I came from NJ to The Swamps of Florida.

All rollers up there, all bunks down here. We only have a 2' tide maybe that's why. Everyone here, almost w/o fail, powers onto their bunk trailer. And here in St Pete almost all of the many ramps are pretty new.

I just bought a used galvanized when I got my 228. It has a line of rollers on the top of the bunks. Kinda the best of both worlds.

2 things I'd do different.

1 - Aluminum instead of galv. steel. A no-brainer

2 - Torsion springs instead of leaf springs
                    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X