Military Mako 282

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Mako 282

Does anyone have any info on the early 2000 282 boats that Special Forces Underwater Operations used. The look like they had a different console, no in floor fish boxes and no live well. Any help would be great, I am looking at one that is for sale.
    1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

I don't think I heard that they used a Mako. I'd be interested to see some pictures. Is there a link to a listing?
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

https://boats-from-usa.com/mako/mako-282-171097
      1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

We had Mako's out here but it was earlier than 2000, they were not used for military operations. They were checkout boats for recreation activities, I think there were two Mako's and 5 Whalers. Kwajalein Atoll may still have some Mako's and I think Diego Garcia has a few in their MWR program.
        Steven Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Comment

I guess the big question is can the fish boxes and livewell be plumbed in to work? I can only assume that the factory did not change the inner liner for a few odd ball versions of the model.
          1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Looks like the console and leaning post are moved forward and that's it. The fishboxes have the hatches screwed down - the big question is what's underneath there. When Mako made boats for the Florida Marine Patrol, they simply blocked them off in the mold and then glass the hatch down, so when you cut it open it was just a piece of fiberglass at the top and no well. Technically there is room and you can certainly add plumbing, but if the box was never made, then you will have to build your own part. Doesn't look to be in too bad of shape just some lovin needed. Transom on those era boats can be an issue but didn't see any obvious cracks.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

does anyone have first hand knowledge of the boxes being glass over blanks? I don't mind a project just not looking to live in a tyvek suit for 100 hours.
              1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

not sure about that model and year, but most of the older mako's used for law enforcement, etc still had the boxes etc but just got filled with foam in from what I've seen

Comment

Here's a picture of the hatches off when Badfish redid his boat. Scroll down on the first page.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=54558
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

i just bought a mako 282 that on the side of the boat it said (sfuwo 11) after googling that it came up to be a SPECIAL FORCES UNDER WATER OPERATIONS SCHOOL. the fish boxes are there but the hatches were screwed down, as well with the live well. after doing some research the reason the console was so far forward was to make room for more divers in the stern of the boat.

j
                    jasonleverett

Comment

YES, BOAT WAS PROBABLY USED TO SUPPORT US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES COMBAT DIVE SCHOOL OPERATIONS IN KEY WEST. THE SCHOOL MAINTAINS A HODGEPODGE FLEET OF TYPICALLY CENTER CONSOLE BOATS...WHALER, MAKO ETC THAT THE CADRE USE DURING ALL PHASES OF THE COURSE. IT'S A WORK BOAT AND IT IS VERY BASIC...BOAT... MOTOR.....RADIO...SAFETY GEAR...NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THEM. THEY HAVE NO REGARD FOR COSMETICS. I JUMP-MASTERED AN INTENTIONAL WATER FUN JUMP AT THE DIVE SCHOOL IN KEY WEST FROM C-130 AIRCRAFT. AS PARACHUTISTS EXIT THE AIRCRAFT ONE BOAT PER JUMPER FOLLOWS THE JUMPER AND IS ASSIGNED TO RETRIEVE THE JUMPER AND PARACHUTE AFTER HE HITS THE WATER,,,OFFICIALLY CALLED A SAFETY BOAT. THE BOATS USED THAT DAY WERE NO FRILLS 21-25 FOOTERS...I GOT HAULED ABOARD A MAKO... I DID NOT SEE A 28 FOOT BOAT... COULD BE USED BY THE COLONEL ,HIGH RANKING OBSERVERS, OR OPERATIONS REQUIRING A 28 FOOT BOAT. SAME SORT OF THING AT CAMP LEJEUNE, NC ...ANTIGUA OR WHEREVER THESE SORT OF OPNS OCCUR. TO MY KNOWLEDGE BOATS ARE NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THIS PURPOSE..UNLIKE THE FLORIDA LAW ENFORCEMENT MAKOS SOME GUYS HAVE. MWR COULD ALSO HAVE THESE BOATS FOR RENTING OUT FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES. A BOAT ASSIGNED TO THE SPECIAL FORCES DIVE SCHOOL AT KEY WEST COULD HAVE THAT IDENTIFYING SFUWO ON THE SIDE WHETHER IT WAS USED FOR STUDENT OPERATIONS OR RECREATION THROUGH MWR....IN BOTH CASES IT WOULD BE ON THE PROPERTY BOOKS....METHINKS. IF USED FOR OPERATIONS IT WOULD PROBABLY BE DINGED UP PRETTY GOOD FROM AIRBORNE / DIVE EQUIPMENT DEPLOYMENT AND RETRIEVAL.
                      EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

Comment

Working...
                      X