VST Gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST Gasket question

My 2005 Optimax 150 VST tank has a flat gasket between the bowl and the cap. It is not a rubber o-ring. In the service manual it says to apply some 2-4-c with Teflon lube to the lip of the cover but the drawing shows the o-ring not the flat gasket. I would think that no lube or sealant is required for the flat old-school gasket during assembly unless the mating surfaces are not smooth. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Kind of a DUH on my end.

The 2-4-c stuff is to hold the o-ring for the VSTs that have an o-ring gasket. My VST has a flat material gasket and the bead of sealant that I saw on the old gasket is already applied to the new one.

Comment

Hmm...mine is a O-ring and a little 2-smoke oik is the recommendation for lube. There must have been an update.

Comment

I don't know if this is an update or related to early model Optimaxes in 2006. The funny thing is that my two service manuals show the rubber oring and not the gasket!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Myotherboat

I don't know if this is an update or related to early model Optimaxes in 2006. The funny thing is that my two service manuals show the rubber oring and not the gasket!

I agree that's odd. Is there a groove for an O-ring?

Comment

My 08 has the gasket material with the o-ring material formed into the gasket.
            1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
            Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

Exactly.. It has a very narrow bead of something 'elastic' applies along the center of the outer gasket edge.

It's all back together and working as far as the pump goes.

Comment

Working...
              X