1988 230 trailer fitment issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 230 trailer fitment issue

Due to the upswept hull design, I am having a difficult time getting the boat to sit on the trailer snubbed to the winch roller and not rocking back. At the ramp the with fenders just sticking out, the bow winches into the roller, then once on land, the boat rocks backwards to sit flat on the bunks. The hull is deeper in the bow than at the stern. The keel sits on the forward support arm. The aft hull is 1/2" above the bunks and when going down the road, bounces. In the mirror I can see the bow moving several inches away from the winch roller. This is dangerous. Any suggestions on how to get this hull design to sit flat on the bunks and tight to the winch roller? I've moved the winch forward thinking that would help. It put more of the boat on the bunks with a 3" hull overhang.

Comment

Have you considered added additional bunks towards bow. Also would a bow strap help pull it down snug to roller. On our Tidewater trailer it had 64 rollers on four trucks. We run support straps across gunnels near stern and bow while in transit.
      Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I had a 1990 230. the bow stop was separate from the winch stand and contacted the boat much lower on the bow.

here is a link to a pic of it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...34947673618000
        1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

It sounds like you are not winching the hull up tight against the roller. It should be winched up until the bow eye is tight against the underside of the roller for towing. That will eliminate the wobble. Release the winch tension when parked.

If need be, the roller can be adjusted down to the bow eye using the u-bolts on the winch stand. However, before you adjust it down, you might want to winch the bow up as described above. See if that puts your hull in contact with the rear of the bunks.

Also, do you think you might be missing a vee shaped bunk pad on the forward cross member shown in the fourth pic?
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Flouner, I winched the bow tight to the winch. Originally, the winch was lower. A lot of stern hung off the back of the bunks. It was tough winching the boat on because of the angle. It pulled the eye down, more than in. I'd rather it pull the boat in and slightly up. I moved the winch forward and up. It was down and back further.

Keyman, I have winches on the transom that pull it tight to the bunks. I was very surprised to find the boat bobbing away from the front roller. I could add forward bunks to lift the bow up which means the the boat would not be resting on the main bunks as much, just at the stern. I'll check with a local trailer store to see if they have them.

Msbrett - interesting trailer set up.

Comment

Looks like you have a little too much slack in your chain.

Be careful cranking the boat once out of the water. You can bend your winch mast. Before you move it out of the water strap from the bow eye bolt down to the trailer. In the water your boat is on an incline and water is taking some of the weight off. When you pull up the weight of the boat is pulling the slack out of your strap causing your gap
              1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Yours looks like the bow hits the support at about the same location mine does.

Difference is that mine is a roller trailer. I do find that when I haul the boat, I need to tighten the bow strap once when I come up the ramp to ensure it is tight.

It may be that the rear of your bunks are a shade too low or front are slightly too high to level the boat out on the trailer.
                1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

Comment

I trailer my boat. The same thing happens to me as well. First try to not sink your trailer as much and see if that helps.

Also with the boat off the trailer lube the bunks with silicone spray. After pulling the boat out of the water and on flat land hit the brakes and the boat should slide forward. But be carefull how much you brake.

And when you launch the boat the next time make sure you have the winch or chain connected when backing down the ramp.

And I always use a load binder between the chain and trailer tongue. This cinches down the bow and will help the bouncing.

You can find them in Northern Tool.
                  2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

I left more of the trailer out of the water. Once I started up the ramp, the boat pulled away from the bow roller. Prior to moving the stanchion forward and winch up, the boat did not do this, but there was 9-10 of stern hanging off the bunks. With the stanchion forward, I have 4-5" of stern hanging past the bunks. I used a ratchet strap between bow eye and stanchion (It has a single chain link welded to the bottom of the stanchion from the factory. That kept the boat from bouncing away from the winch roller. I am still not content with this as I want the boat's natural stance, balance, and weight to sit onto the trailer like a glove. Wondering if I shouldn't move the stanchion rearward 2"? Another option would be to raise the keel Y an inch and see how the boat responds. What is everyone's thoughts on the keel resting on the Y bracket? (See above photo).

Comment

Here are 2 picks of the Y bracket.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

And I always use a load binder between the chain and trailer tongue. This cinches down the bow and will help the bouncing.

You can find them in Northern Tool.

Can you post a pic please? I know what a load binder is. Curious how you're connecting it to the tongue. It would have to be several feet in length. A big, heavy one!

Comment

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3759_200673759

[img][/img]

I used the 1/4" size.

And wrapped a section of 1/4" chain around the tongue.
                          2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3759_200673759

[img][/img]

I used the 1/4" size.

And wrapped a section of 1/4" chain around the tongue.

Dang on!! Thats serious there! Lol
                            1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by nodima

Yours looks like the bow hits the support at about the same location mine does.

Difference is that mine is a roller trailer. I do find that when I haul the boat, I need to tighten the bow strap once when I come up the ramp to ensure it is tight.

It may be that the rear of your bunks are a shade too low or front are slightly too high to level the boat out on the trailer.

I need to figure how to get my tongue up so that the boat sits like yours on a hill so that rain water in the bilge runs out. The forward hull is lower than than the stern.

Comment

Working...
                              X