Replacing Steering cable 171 mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Steering cable 171 mako

I have a 2001 Mako w/90 mercury on it. I need to replace the Teleflex steering on it. I was wondering what length the cable was? Read 13.

Do I really have to unbolt motor to install the cable?
    Dylan Henderson

TAKE THE OLD ONE OUT ANDMEASURE IT?

No, you don't need to remve the motor. Get a "widget ' to help keep the shaft from seizing up.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dogman18

No, you don't need to remve the motor. Get a "widget ' to help keep the shaft from seizing up.

I Wanted to go head get one ordered before I removed it. The only way I see the cable being able to be removed is if the motor slides over because it doesn't have enough room to slide out to let the entire shaft out. What is a widget?
      Dylan Henderson

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dogman18

I Wanted to go head get one ordered before I removed it. The only way I see the cable being able to be removed is if the motor slides over because it doesn't have enough room to slide out to let the entire shaft out. What is a widget?
        Dylan Henderson

Comment

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stee...g-guard-1.html

Comment

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stee...g-guard-1.html

Comment

When installing 125hp Merc to our 17 I almost made the mistake of not inserting the cable prior to bolting the motor to transom because of the tight bend radius of cable. Another option is to install hydraulic steering.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I'm in the same position. The cable on my 1973 20 is seized. It has a Yamaha 200, and I can't see anyway to swap it without levitating the motor.

I'll be doing it in my work parking lot. I was going to take my engine hoist, and dive in. First time (I guess) the engine has been off the transom in decades. So far the bolts have come free easily. Any advice?? The ends look mighty large to be going through that conduit without making a mess of the stuff thats in there.

My research tells me it's 16'.
                Jake Gulick[br]Fairfield County CT

Comment

I have done the cable on my 1974 17 a few times. Use lots of dish soap in the rigging tube. Pull a few strings in when you pull the old cable out. I had to tilt the engine to get the rod from the cable in. Leave one bolt in to hold the engine. 13' should be the right length. a little long is good. replace the helm at the same time.
                  Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Working...
                  X