Fuel problems 1983 228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel problems 1983 228

Recent purchase, 6/9/2018, of a 1983 228.

Finding water in fuel. Had the fuel in the tank professionally cleaned twice.

I think the water is making its way into the tank during rain. Boat is currently stored uncovered. Heavy rains lately.

How would water enter the fuel tank. Hole in top of tank?

Pull the inspection plate under the console. It might be getting in at the fill tube?

Comment

The 228 I have has a small inspection port to access the fuel sending unit towards the cuddy cabin. I have pulled that off as well as the entire cover for the coffin. The foam looks like hell but is firm. Water sits on top of the tank. I put a new fuel sending unit in as well as a new gasket. No obvious pointy of entry. Water getting in around the tank seems to be built into the design.

Comment

Possibly the O-Ring on the fuel fill is either bad or not tight enough. The water can be running down the gunnel and funneling in.
        Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

Brian, Thanks

So the black plastic screw-in 1 1/4" cap is suppose to have an O ring?

Mine does not but appears to not require one. Am I wrong?

Comment

Definitely needs an oring!

Comment

Definitely needs an oring!

Comment

Will start there, thanks.

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts on how to pressure test fuel tank/system in place?

Comment

Will start there, thanks.

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts on how to pressure test fuel tank/system in place?

Comment

The cap actually did have an o-ring. Replaced it anyway.Any other tips?

Comment

The cap actually did have an o-ring. Replaced it anyway.Any other tips?

Comment

If the tank is original, and as you say there is water on top of it, there is a very good chance the tank is compromised.

Could also be in the fuel fill area too.
                        1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

Comment

Tank failure is the conclusion I'm coming up with. Its a lot of water.

What should it cost to have that done?

Comment

Nobody knows?

Comment

Working...
                            X