Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mako 171 questions

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Mako's and had a couple of questions. 1st, I bought a 1994 171 with trailer for 2k (no motor) but everything looks to be in pretty good shape. Does anyone know how I tell if it's the classic or the angler model? The Mako home page seems to have limited info. Also, I've decided to repower it with a suzi 140/4. Is this going to be too big? I know it's rated for 135 hp but the 140 suzi weighs 6 lbs less than their 115, weighs 40 lbs less than a 135 optimax, and 90 lbs less than a honda 130.

Thanks
    Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Angler models had a raised deck in the back with fishboxes.

AS far as power...I assume by too big you're talking horses...dont sweat 5 over. That boat should move nicely with 140. My old 17 with a 110 ran at 44mph.
    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I don't see any fish boxes so I'm asuming it's the standard. Also, it looks like the 17's went through various weight configurations over the course of their evolution. It looks like the weight settled at about 1250 in the 90's ... As for repowering, I was somewhat concerned about the horses but a little more about the weight. Anyway, most 115 horse 2 strokes are within 40 lbs of the 140/4 so I assume the extra weight shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks again for the info.
      Corpuscruiser[br]Northern AL[br]\'94 171

Comment

I just repowered my 171 with a 90 yamaha 2-stroke. It runs over 40mph plus it weighs a lot less, which means the scuppers stay out of the water.

Comment

Working...
        X