231 pushed by etec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 231 pushed by etec

Anybody out there pushing their Mako with an evinced etec? I've got a 2014 etec 200ho pushing my 231 and have an issue thats popped up with planing out. Just curious if anybody else is running this motor? Ill copy and paste the issue here and hopefully somebody has an idea.

I apologize ahead of time for the long winded description, but hopefully it paints the correct picture.

2014 Etec 200HO Model E200DHXABB Serial 5417198 This motor is pushing a 1995 Mako 231 CC Prop: I believe is a 16 pitch Rebel TBX.

Bought the boat in january of this year. The day I bought it, we test rode it with 4 guys and some coolers of water to simulate weight. The motor blew my mind on how much power it had and how easily it popped up on plane. Fast forward to the month of May. Had the motor fully serviced by a certified dealer,(Becks) best in town kind of folks. A couple weeks after the service we trailered to Ft Lauderdale to cross to bimini. Had the boat loaded with gear, people, gas (150 gallons), ice, drinks, clothes etc....Time comes to get up and run out the inlet and the boat will absolutely not plane off. No big deal, must be riding too heavy. Ditch two guys onto another boat and the wife and I were slowly but surely able to get on plane. At the end of the trip with less fuel onboard and less weight due to drinks and food and ice we were able to put the other two guys back on the boat and ride. Still very slow and sluggish to plane but it managed. Chalked it up to too much weight onboard.

Fast forward to last Friday, myself, my wife, one of her friends and a cooler of ice and drinks went for a cruise down the river. The boat planed off but it still took a while and had to be feathered. Thought that was not right and began to start thinking more about the issue.

The final straw....Sunday myself and three other guys, 100lbs of ice and 12 dive tanks and gear went offshore to dive. The only way the boat would get on plane was to have two guys go to the front until it planed then move back.

So here is what the motor did on all three occasions. Throttle goes up, boat starts plowing, and instead of continuing to go and plane off once I hit about 12-14 mph the rpms would increase and the mph would start decreasing. The motor changed in the way it sounded. It almost sounded like it was starting to ventilate. I would have to pull the throttle back and start over. I called my etec guys and they said it could be a prop issue or a motor height issue. I figured I would try to explain on here to see if any of y'all could impart some wisdom that I might be missing. The mechanics said to get on the boat and run WOT trimmed up and clock the rpms. Then bring it to them and bring some weight to the boat to see if we could recreate the issues. Got on the boat by myself and minus about 40gallons out of the 150 gallon tank and she popped right up and ran great 5700RPM at WOT pushing the boat at 41MPH

I hope I am describing this correctly and it makes sense to someone. What has me confused is that the motor ran and performed great when I bought it and used it fishing all the way up to the service. Got it serviced and got it back and boom, its acting funny. If I am missing something or if there is any other info I can provide please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Tight lines Matt
    1995 231 Tuppens

possibly a prop hub issue? The fuel system on the etec is a very picky animal. The spark plugs have to indexed.
    1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

I'm not sure if it would cause these issues with added weight, but I don't think your propped right. My 224 & the 231 are very similar in the water, I run an evinrude 200, (older direct inject) and I turn a 19 pitch prop (turned a 17 when I had a 4 blade).
      \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mbsbrett

possibly a prop hub issue? The fuel system on the etec is a very picky animal. The spark plugs have to indexed.

I thought hub issue at first also, but I have one of the new style hubs that aren't pressed into the prop. The guys I have spoken with say those hubs never slip, they just spin out and then are done. Fuel system and plugs might be a problem. I am taking it to the shop wednesday and the mechanics are going to hop on and run it with me. I hope it's something simple.
        1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

I'm not sure if it would cause these issues with added weight, but I don't think your propped right. My 224 & the 231 are very similar in the water, I run an evinrude 200, (older direct inject) and I turn a 19 pitch prop (turned a 17 when I had a 4 blade).

Chuck it's funny you mention that. I talked to a gentleman named Ken with prop gods and he suggested if nothing can be found by the mechanics to try a 4 blade power tech at 17 pitch
          1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by letsfish231

Chuck it's funny you mention that. I talked to a gentleman named Ken with prop gods and he suggested if nothing can be found by the mechanics to try a 4 blade power tech at 17 pitch

I was sold on my 4 blade until I tried the 19 Enertia. I have zero doubts I am propped right now.
            \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
            \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

I have the small block Gen 1 - 175 hp Etec, though older. Many of the problems you hear about are fuel related. 1st thing I'd do is dump the boat's separator filter into a clean glass jar to inspect.

Then, I'd dump the on motor separator filter the same way.

Not sure if the 3.3L 90* big blocks have them, but mine does. Check the VST return fuel filter & the exhaust back-pressure nipple. The indexing of the plugs is critical. Pull the spark plug boots off & see if the

plugs have magic marker marks on them. If NOT - they are not indexed. Open gap of plug has to face the injector.

Also take a trip over to http://www.etecownersgroup.com/. It is a tremendous resource of knowledge. A lot of it from certified Etec dealers. Names I trust include Evinrude, Huey, olypopper, starflight & a few others. These are BRP guys from around the world.
              1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

I have the small block Gen 1 - 175 hp Etec, though older. Many of the problems you hear about are fuel related. 1st thing I'd do is dump the boat's separator filter into a clean glass jar to inspect.

Then, I'd dump the on motor separator filter the same way.

Not sure if the 3.3L 90* big blocks have them, but mine does. Check the VST return fuel filter & the exhaust back-pressure nipple. The indexing of the plugs is critical. Pull the spark plug boots off & see if the

plugs have magic marker marks on them. If NOT - they are not indexed. Open gap of plug has to face the injector.

Also take a trip over to http://www.etecownersgroup.com/. It is a tremendous resource of knowledge. A lot of it from certified Etec dealers. Names I trust include Evinrude, Huey, olypopper, starflight & a few others. These are BRP guys from around the world.

I have been on the etec group for about a week chatting with them as well. Everybody has been super helpful and I thank you all for your input and suggestions. I'm taking it to the shop this morning and will post what the do or don't find and where to go from there. Thank you all again
                1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Please post the solution/problem when you get it figured out. I'm interested to know what was/is going on.
                  quote:

Originally posted by letsfish231

I have been on the etec group for about a week chatting with them as well. Everybody has been super helpful and I thank you all for your input and suggestions. I'm taking it to the shop this morning and will post what the do or don't find and where to go from there. Thank you all again

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Well its time to fess up to the culprit. Got me feeling kinda dumb. It had nothing to do with going in for service. For those of you that said it was a prop issue or motor height....you were both correct.

A little back story, I'll try and make it short. The day I bought the boat, the previous owner was powering off the trailer on a shallow ramp. Didn't notice until I got all the way back to Jax, but each blade on the prop was curled/rolled a bit on the edge. My guess, he hit bottom when powering off. Didn't notice it on the boat ride which was weird but thats neither here nor there. Took the prop off and gave it to Becks and they sent it off to their prop guy. Got it back and it looked like brand new. Slapped it on and that was that. Took a couple fishing trips and ran great.

Today, Brad and Brian at Becks felt this was a prop issue as well. So they grabbed the same exact prop as mine that they use and know is correct and true. Off to the boat ramp we went. Launched the boat with my prop on and had the boat weighed down pretty good, about as much as we would have on a dive trip with 4 people. Brad goes to throttle up and the same problem occurs as described. He pulled back and turned back to the ramp. He said the prop is losing its bite. Put on their prop and re launch and wouldn't you know.....loaded down and popped right up on plane, went to 6000RPM WOT and 40MPH. I thought "Holy S**t could it be this simple?" Well Brad said, it wouldn't hurt to drop the motor about an inch and that they would send the prop back to the prop guy to have it fixed.

Long story short, motor is a tad high and the prop guy messed up a little on the prop when he fixed it. Thank you to all for your input and advice. If you have anymore questions just ask. I hope this helps somebody one day.

Tight lines, Matt
                    1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Glad the problem was solved and your boat is back to serving you.

Comment

I have a 1977 mako 22 pushed by an etec 250. I rented multiple props from a salvage yard and just the slightest change in prop made a big difference. I discovered the original prop I had was the best prop for the boat which was a 15 1/4 x 17 3 blade. I tried 15x19, 15x21, 14 inch props, 4 blades and the best one out of the hole was my original 15 1/4 x 17 3 blade hands down. The too aggressive props were slow to wind up and the 4 blade was also slow to wind up and could not get to WOT. Some props spun/slipped in the water as well. The 4 blade also chugged way too much in reverse also. I work on my own etec as well with the computer program to check for codes etc. I would look at the props first then the fuel pressures and delivery. Yes the plugs are important and need to be indexed for sure but it doesnt sound like you have any misfiring going on. You would know that right away. Good luck and hope this helps.
                        Proud owner of a Mako 22

Comment

The important thing with these Etecs is that they are able to reach Max RPM's at WOT. Wether by prop pitch or mounting height or both.

Mine is still "over-propped" by a few hundred rpm's, but I still need to raise the motor 1.5" - 2". Already have it in the highest hole so a jack plate is in order.
                          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Working...
                          X