Mako 191 Repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 191 Repower

I have just replaced my engine on my 191 from a 135 Optimax to 150 4 Stroke.

Its just been to the dealer for its first service and when I got it back having done about another 30 or so hours I noticed that the Racor bulb had a lot of crud floating around in it.

I dropped all the cruddy fuel through the valve aand left it at that.

Took it out the next day and stalled, I couldnt get the engine to reprime.

I dropped the filter which I could get off by hand and noticed that the O ring on the filter was about 1/2 inch to big for the O ring seat hence the lack of seal, why it wouldnt reprime and probably the crud in the bowel owing to the filter being loose and sucking every bit of crud it could to maintain pressure.

This engine has done sixty hours total, Ive checked the low pressure filter and that was full of crud too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possible damage that may have been done to the engine.

Im thinking definetely, fuel pump, Injectors and Piston Rings and Crowns.

All thoughts are welcome, thankyou

I would have hoped that installer would have replaced all the fuel lines back to the tank if installing a new motor.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Also, I'd have had the tank contents pumped or at least checked for water or debris.

Most of the problems that we have with the Etecs are more fuel supply issues rather than engine issues.

Good luck with the new motor & hopefully no damage was done to it.
    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Thanks and I agree whole heartedly, Mercury specify pre delivery the fuel system should be checked from tank to engine.

Ive got my fingers crossed about the motor, Ive sent an oil ssmple off I hope the don't find any gasoline.

If they do I'le be asking for a new engine from a different supplier, its pretty unforgivable getting the water seperator filter element wrong especially in a new installation.

Tight lines.

Comment

Just saw you are from the country down-under. I know it is a rather large island, but there is a guy named

Huey on an etecowners.com site that is a ton of help.

He sells other motors & I think works on all.

He's a world of knowledge in my opinion.
        1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Sorry about the late reply,

Thanks for that ile get in touch with them.

Nice boat you have there aand thanks again.
          quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

Just saw you are from the country down-under. I know it is a rather large island, but there is a guy named

Huey on an etecowners.com site that is a ton of help.

He sells other motors & I think works on all.

He's a world of knowledge in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X