Tabman Bennett Trim Tab Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tabman Bennett Trim Tab Failure

I took the boat out Tuesday for first time this year. Ran out and tabs were not calibrated on the eic, which has happened before. Shut down to fish, and I attempted to calibrate the eic. Results of trying to calibrate were each side of led display flashing, would not calibrate. When running in, boat listed hard to right. When I tried to adjust, hard to left. Only way to level off, bow all the way down. After pulling out, the eic had automatically raised the right tab, left all the way down. The left tab will not raise at all. Pump runs, no obvious issues with lines. Oil level is at the lower end of the line but not below. Tab will not budge, even when being raised and I lift on it (no aggressive pressure). Any ideas? They are m80 on a 191 mako, and they are 4 years old.
    Salem County, NJ[br]Whaler 15 SS (sold)[br]Mako 191[br]

I had a problem with a Euro rocker switch recently. It wouldnt work consistently on the the starboard tab.. After performing the trouble shooting test in the link below I found out the switch was bad.

I looked for Tabnan on THT because I was sure he would send a replacement switch for free since hes always been extremely generous and helpful in the past, but it looks like Yamaha bought Bennett recently and it seems like their customer service approach may have changed.

Still great trim tabs but their customer service was great.

Good luck.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...eshooting.html
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

I would check all your ground wires. Take them off, clean them with sand paper or wire brush, spray all connections with corrosion X and reinstall. Next check your wires...all the way between points. I had a butt connector hidden in a bundle of wires that I did not know about and only found it when I ran a separate direct ground to test.

If that doesn't correct, then I would lean toward a bad switch. Tabman and Bennett are absolutely awesome to work with which is why I would never have anything but Bennett's on my boat.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

switch seems to be working. the pump comes on and runs, but the tab wont raise, its stuck in the down position.

Comment

I just installed the Bennett ATP system - had a little sealant get into the port elbow connected to actuator when installing the new sensor kit - tab went down but sealant blocked fluid coming back up preventing tab from recessing - see if you hear a difference in the pump sound between the working and non-working tab as that was the tip off for me. Good Luck!

Comment

It's been a closed system for 4yrs, but I guess it's possible something could have lodged in there. I found on you tube, it could be a bad solenoid valve fir the port side. Put will run, but valve won't open to activate the piston.

Comment

Well, back to the drawing board! I had swapped hydraulic lines at the pump, and the bad tab worked fine. I just replaced the solenoid valve, hoping that was the problem...no dice.

Comment

I called Bennett today, they belive the problem is the control box. They will replace it no cost, I just removed it to send back. Fingers crossed.

Comment

That is awesome. I don't believe any other company stands behind their product like Bennett.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Megalops

I had a problem with a Euro rocker switch recently. It wouldnt work consistently on the the starboard tab.. After performing the trouble shooting test in the link below I found out the switch was bad.

I looked for Tabnan on THT because I was sure he would send a replacement switch for free since hes always been extremely generous and helpful in the past, but it looks like Yamaha bought Bennett recently and it seems like their customer service approach may have changed.

Still great trim tabs but their customer service was great.

Good luck.

i have been in contact with bennett customer service for quality control issues with just bought bolt 1212 electric trim tabs to replace the old bennett hydraulics. the new bolt kit failed to provide the hardware screws for the hinge plates that i unfortunately found out after drilling 12 holes in my transom. the kit also came with a bad harness. although they did provide these parts to me, it took weeks of waiting and down time[!]. certainly quality control has changed and as megalops stated their customer service aint what it used to be.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...eshooting.html

Comment

I called Bennett yesterday, and was advised it has to be the relay module. Even though I was out of warranty for that part by a year, I was advised if I shipped the old one back, a new one would be sent out. I shipped it today, and they agreed to send the new one out immediately as I'm on vaca next week and want to get tings running. Good service so far...

Comment

Glad to hear they are still standing by their products.
                        1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

Bennett has the best customer service, having a problem now

Comment

Final update...it was the relay control box. after swapping out the box, they are working perfectly. Cant say enough about Bennetts customer service.

Comment

Working...
                            X