Another fuel tank problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fuel tank problem

Put the boat in two weeks ago as our spring was a cold one. Went on first fishing trip and the smell of gas. Took the floor hatch off today and found oxidation with perforation pinholes to the top of the aluminum tank. This thank was replaced in 2006 with a Florida marine tanks no coating other than a green zinc chromate with some foam on all sides. It was installed by P/O two years before I got the boat. I'll pull the boat tomorrow empty the tank and order another. BUT should I get one local or go to sunrise FL with shipping to NY?
    88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

I found that Florida was much cheaper than having it made locally. Worth it to price it out in any case.
    1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

Comment

Take a long lunch tomorrow and take a ride over to Verdi Street in Farmingdale. You have two excellent and reputable Tank Fabricators within a block of each other. Literally, on the same side of the street, about a block apart.

Alloy Metal Works (631) 694-8163, and Ram Welding (631) 420-9594. Both do Quality work. There is also an Aluminum Boat Builder out in Moriches that also advertises Tank Fabbing, but I don't know anything about him.
      Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

Got the tank out today after pumping 90 gallons of gas out, after 4 to 5 hours of draining, I now have 2 55 gallon barrels sitting in my back yard. The only easy part was the foam was easy to get out and the tank came out with ease. The coffin had at least 3" of water mixed with gas and no way for it to drain, the foam was gas soaked and filled 3 trash bags at least 75lbs each. I have to thank my 2 brother inlaws for all the help it was a full days work getting the boat out getting the 2 barrels draining the gas pulling the tank and washing it out. Tomorrow as it in the pick up will go to Ram and see what they can do. Now to cut out the coffin and remove all the soaked foam while I get the tank built. Wife said just get another boat with a bathroom?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by IDBooch

Got the tank out today after pumping 90 gallons of gas out, after 4 to 5 hours of draining, I now have 2 55 gallon barrels sitting in my back yard. The only easy part was the foam was easy to get out and the tank came out with ease. The coffin had at least 3" of water mixed with gas and no way for it to drain, the foam was gas soaked and filled 3 trash bags at least 75lbs each. I have to thank my 2 brother inlaws for all the help it was a full days work getting the boat out getting the 2 barrels draining the gas pulling the tank and washing it out. Tomorrow as it in the pick up will go to Ram and see what they can do. Now to cut out the coffin and remove all the soaked foam while I get the tank built. Wife said just get another boat with a bathroom?

Hey Dennis, got to keep the ladies happy, that is part of the reason TC has all its creature comforts. Call Sunshine Marine tanks and give them a chance with a quote. I found if you have them ship to a business address its not that expensive. They will also coat the tank in CTE for short money.
          David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Dave still waiting for sunshine to get back to me? In the meantime I have a quote from Ram in Farmingdale NY may go with him if Sunrise or Florida Marine tank don't get back to me today. Now I have to cut out the coffin and clean out the wet foam, should I used 2lbs, 4lbs or 6lbs foam the 2lbs I can pick out local.

Comment

You can order foam from us composits and they will ship it to you. I used 4 pound foam kits in my installs. There should be holes in the bottom of the coffin. I dug mine out on my 88 21B then jammed a long piece of 1/2 rebar in through the drain plug hole to create drain holes through the foam to get the trapped water out from in front of the tank
              Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

You can get 2, 4, 6 and, 8 lb Foam kits from the guy on 109 across from Million Air/the Runway, Reinforced Plastics Laboratory. Ordering and shipping stuff from all over is great, but when I can, I prefer to spend my $$ with Local Suppliers. If you don't support your Local guys, they may not be around when you need them in a pinch.

Just my $0.02.
                Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

Well I went local with the tank at Ram in Farmingdale, Tony has built 2 other tanks for friends of mine. Today I got the foam local again from Reinforced Plastic. Now for an up date on the work yesterday I cut out the coffin had to cut it in half it just would not come out in one piece. Today I filled way to many plastic bags with wet foam. It felt like I was working in the subway tunnels again digging under the deck to the cuddy cabin to get the pvc drain pipe out it was broken & cracked all over. I can't reach any further and the foam is still wet in the center under the cuddy floor. Should I cut out the cabin floor about 12" x 20" or just leave it? Thank you MakoDiver for tip to reinforced plastic.

Comment

Another day of getting the wet foam out at least its wet with water not gas. I made an auger that is 20" long ground up the foam under the cuddy and vacuumed it out. The drain in the cuddy step down serves no purpose whatsoever. I have always kept it plugged up as when slowing down any water in the bilge would flow forward. One of the problems is that water sits in this pvc 1" pipe and froze it was cracked most of its length. The solution that I have come up with is to eliminate this problem drain, that never worked as it should have. It also gives me a way to foam under the cuddy deck with out cutting up the fiberglass floor by using the drain hole.

Comment

Youll be happy with Tonys work. He did a tank for me a few years ago top notch work. Not far from you if you need a hand give me a shout.
                      seaford ny. 1973 17 mako. 1983 21 mako

Comment

Dennis, does that drain line also connect up to the anchor locker? I agree with eliminating it if it has no purpose for you. Likely the water you are seeing came up that line from the bilge.
                        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

This was not an easy job, for two weeks I work as if it was a full time job. New tank is now in boat with foam, all hoses replaced along with all wires. I'm going to put a layer of glass on the foam around the tank. If water gets on top of the tank I have a pvc drain line level with the tank to the bilge. There never was drain line from the anchor locker, just from the drop down in the cabin. To keep the new foam dry I built a wall (bulkhead) in front of the bilge not an easy place to work. Taking a break this weekend trip to Watch Hill FI on brother inlaws 37' boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X