Nevermind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevermind

I bought my 254 in September of 2015 and have done a ton to it since.

New transom, composite, with twin engine bracket

New fuel tank with all new fuel lines

New electrical throughout

Second engine to match original (1999 Optimax 225)

New trailer

Removed bottom paint

New bow cushions

Now the original motor has blown, and I am thinking about selling the boat. We bought a 32' sailboat that takes up most of our time and money. The original plan was to put the twin on to take the boat to the Bahamas and go out fishing to have redundancy. So far, it has been in the shop more than in use due to the engine work and now it sits there with a blown starboard engine.

The wife and I spoke last night, and we do not have money in the budget right now for new engines, and my mechanic may possibly have a powerhead for it with unknown hours and who knows what it may need, but it is around $2,000. We spoke and we are debating replacing the powerhead and then selling the boat.

What would be the realistic sell price for the boat? It is an 85, you read above what I did. The bad, it still needs cosmetic work to make it pretty, the rub rail is still in the box and needs installation, and because it is 30+ years old, some dings and scrapes in places.

I was thinking I may be able to ask $20k for it based on local CL searches in Tampa, FL, but I know that the engines are almost 20 years old, although reliable.

Thoughts on pricing?
    \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

With the old motors and replaced parts they are pretty much worth nothing. If I was to spend money on anything it would be making the cosmetic appearances showroom. Transom work that looks bad on the outside will question the value of the work inside. I think you are very optimistic on that price in the current state or even with the new power head (though that would be a waste of money)

Just my opinion.
    [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

excluding power - A decent trailer and assuming the work that has been done is 1st rate I think 12-15k would be realistic. Twin 200s would be ideal on that boat and the would be 28-30k.

Brett
      1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by snappergapper

With the old motors and replaced parts they are pretty much worth nothing. If I was to spend money on anything it would be making the cosmetic appearances showroom. Transom work that looks bad on the outside will question the value of the work inside. I think you are very optimistic on that price in the current state or even with the new power head (though that would be a waste of money)

Just my opinion.

I somewhat agree with you. I see them in the local CL for sale anywhere from 6k with a single and no trailer to 25k with twins and a bracket on a trailer.

I know most of the hard work has been done and anyone who knows that would appreciate it.

I spoke to my mechanic on Friday and it seems it will still be two weeks before he can get to the boat realistically. If I had an engine lift I think I would do the work myself.

The boat currently has twin 225s mbsbrett. Basically 200s with a different computer.
        \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

you can borrow my engine hoist if you need to scott. i cant help you on value. im not good at that aspect.
          Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by muzzy1127

you can borrow my engine hoist if you need to scott. i cant help you on value. im not good at that aspect.

Thanks Mark. He is supposed to be back Friday and I am going to get a realistic time frame again from him. If it doesn't happen I am going to tow the boat out of there and find a new mechanic.

In the meantime I would love to borrow your lift if I go that route.

You get my email about a rental out there for some friends?

Comment

yeah, crap i forgot and it got burried by junk ill reply now lol
              Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

despite finding the right selling price,the boat might have more interested buyers as it sits now with the blown motor possibly? I think more buyers would want newer power on that boat, and as kind of a blank canvas to work with and refit rather then much older merc that you just spent $2-3k on. Don't think you'd get back close to $ for $ the work you would have into the old motor rebuild. Older motors even with a fresh rebuild just don't have the dollar value they used to

Comment

Well I told the wife my plan and that got shot down really fast. I guess we are on the hunt for a 225 to match the one on the boat and I am going to have the blown one as a spare.

Once we sell the house I am thinking of going back to a single.

Comment

Hey Scott, I also have a motor hoist here in St Pete you are welcome to use.

It is a hydraulic car hoist that folds up pretty nicely to fit in a trunk. I removed my 200 hp 'Rude Looper with it fairly easily.

Steve

six09-two o 6- seven07one
                    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

BTW Scott, Have you ever been to the Marine yard sale at Eckard college? If I'm not mistaken, they run Opti's on there search/rescue craft. They had a couple for sale at the last one I went to.

Would be worth a call at least.
                      1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the hoist. The mechanic has the new to me motor hung already and it apparently is about ready to go. I may take you up on it if I need to lift my old motor out of a truck bed to an engine stand. I used to have one from Harbor Freight but when we moved I sold it.

I have quite an in at Eckerd College, but unfortunately they sold all their motors.

There is a guy on THT who bought the 18' offshore from there.

I usually go to their flea market every year but I had a booth at the island nautical flea market this year to try to get rid of some of my boat parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X