Painting inside of console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting inside of console

Need suggestions on what I should paint the inside of my console with? Looking for something cheap that will hold up ok. Thought about using kilz 2 but wasnt sure if that was appropriate.
    Chris[br]Fort Myers,Fl[br]1986 Mako 20C[br]2003 Yamaha 150

Rustoleum Marine Top Side paint is affordable & durable. Big box hardware stores for about $15/ Quart.
    John[br]Gloucester, MA[br]1993 Mako 221B. [br]http://tinyurl.com/pyynux8

Comment

Why not just brush on a new coat of gelcoat? You'll need to wipe down the surfaces anyway with acetone to clean them. Its cheap-ish, brush strokes-who cares its isnide the console.

be careful of the fumes, though.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Shakes_26

Why not just brush on a new coat of gelcoat? You'll need to wipe down the surfaces anyway with acetone to clean them. Its cheap-ish, brush strokes-who cares its isnide the console.

be careful of the fumes, though.

My first choice but I was afraid Id screw it up and it wouldnt cure. Never used it and not sure the steps to apply. Also used epoxy for all the work I did on console and wasnt sure if the gelcoat would stick.

Comment

Stick with a durable marine paint. Most gelcoat manufacturers will reccomended not applying gelcoat over epoxy..
          John[br]Gloucester, MA[br]1993 Mako 221B. [br]http://tinyurl.com/pyynux8

Comment

You ddin't mention whether your console is stripped down or components are in place. If components are in place painting around devices could be a challenge.
            Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by keyman

You ddin't mention whether your console is stripped down or components are in place. If components are in place painting around devices could be a challenge.

Sorry, yes it is totally stripped. Filled in gauge holes and old binnacle hole so I can reconfigure. Also have to glass in a mounting board for all upcoming electrical components. Figured after Ive got all the glass work done it would be a good time to paint. Im using interlux 404 epoxy primekote on the topside so I might just use some of that and be done. Are you still helping folks with electrical layouts? I could use some mentoring.

Comment

Yes can provide an Excel spread sheet of electrical components, suggested sub panel layout and wiring diagrams. Send your email address to DMK one one six at comcast dot net and I'll forward docs to you. Are you relocating the batteries to under console?

Your boat is 20 Mako with 150hp Yamaha right? Have docs for Perko switch ACR and BEP cluster (preference) for battery management. List all electrical components to control including number of pumps and type of switch panels. Take a look at Blueseas site which have many options for type of panels. Based on the above info estimate for all componets is $1100 but purchasing devices on line will reduce cost.
                Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Working...
                X