230 Windshield Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230 Windshield Project

I've got the old windshield off the boat and mostly stripped of the old paint. I'm working with the standard cuddy cabin windshield, not the center console. I've been researching the seals and from the archives here, there are two sources that come up, one of which appears to be still valid. Ocean Dynamics, I've called them and then sent a picture to them of the old seals, but they don't seem to be as helpful as the other folks here made them out to be. They must not like us northern types. []

It would be supremely helpful to get a product number and size for the replacement of the window seals themselves, as well as the strips that go over the slots for accessing the screws.

The only other numbers I've seen are for TP-139 through American marine. I've searched this on Google, and it seems that this is significantly different than the original seals, and I just don't see how it will work with the Mako application.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

there is a place in florida, ocean dynamics or something. I sent them my powdercoated frames and they installed new glass and weather stripping. was not that expensive and changed the look of the boat getting rid of the bronze glass. the info is under my project thread I think.
    1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Thanks Brett - I'm in contact with Ocean Dynamics, but wanted additional part # information to help me order the right stuff.
      1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

Comment

They might be able to pull by my last name , McGinnis in Ormond Beach, FL. They did mine on a 1990 230.
        1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Hi Brett thanks. Unfortunately she could not find you in their system???

She suggested an email address?

Thanks anyway.

Comment

A lot of us have gone through OD, they know what you need, sounds as if you might need to keep bugging them tho.
            David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

When I did mine I used TP-139 from American Marine which seems is now sold by Pompanette. A quick search showed a price of something like $4.59 per foot. Not sure if this is accurate.

It does look like V452, V453.

Measure the original at the widest part and see if either of the above comes close.
              2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Thanks Dave. Ordered and received from Pompanette.

Frames are painted, and I'm just about ready to reinstall the glass. I've seen mention of 3m double sided tape and silicon used. Any guidance on the installation?

I'm thinking of this - run 3/16" bead of silicon around the frame, leaving space at the edge of the glass and frame for the gaskets. Then working the gaskets around each edge.

Any tricks to be aware of? I've read that to seat the gasket a putty knife is super helpful.

Comment

Here you go.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=26255
                  2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Thanks, could not find such a bit of seal locally, and was pressed for time, so took the silicone approach. Turned out to be a fairly straightforward job to get the glass installed in the panels. With some help from my neighbor, the windshield was installed in the boat last night. The key to sliding the pieces together was a bit of wax.

Still need to figure out what the original trim pieces that cover the D channels are called or what they look like so I can order them. The previous owner had stuffed fuel line into those gaps and secured them with copious amounts of silicone.

Comment

Working...
                    X