Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling a 25 from Ohio To Florida

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pulling a 25 from Ohio To Florida

    This is probably a support question rather than an actual question to see if I am think incorrectly. First I purchased my 25 on the east coast of Deleware and drove it home at 70mph on the PA turnpike. If you know the PA turnpike, you know what I went through!

    Anyhow, I coming to Anna Maria this summer for two weeks and am considering towing my boat down. I mean, what good is boat in Ohio when you are sitting in Florida's gulf coast. Wife mentioned renting a boat rather than pulling, she gets squirmy when I am yelling at semi trucks that are drafting me down 71....

    Its pretty expensive from what I have found to rent a boat for even a week, but there are fuel considerations to tow and the added discomfort of finding that extra long parking spot when trying to stop.

    Who votes for towing and who votes for renting? Statistics say this will be an even split!
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

  • #2
    Tow it. Vacation is a lot more fun with your own boat. You will love boating around AMI. I tow 8 hours to vacation with the boat for 8 days. 2 weeks is a bonus. Plus I can help find you some spots since you wont fish from Ohio on a regular basis....The towing is a little more stressful but if you trailer is in order it just adds a little fuel consumption.
    [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

    Comment


    • #3
      If you have a reliable trailer and rig, then I'd say go for it. Practice makes perfect! We did Miami to Boston with my 25. Quite an experience...
      [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

      Comment


      • #4
        Hell, I tow my Mako254 12 hours to Ft. Lauderdale down I-95, so we can cross to Bimini. When people question crossing over to Bimini, I tell them the truck ride is by far the most dangerous part of the trip! That said, I wouldn't think of renting. You'll want your own boat. Just make certain the trailer is in tip top shape and you've got a spare of everything for it. tire, hub, etc..

        Comment


        • #5
          RECENTLY MOVED FROM NC TO FLA...DECEMBER.....TOWED BOAT...I WOULD HAVE THE TRAILER THOROUGHLY CHECKED OUT....BEARINGS.....SPRINGS ....TIRES...ETC ETC.....OUNCE OF PREVENTION RATHER THAN A POUND OF CURE....WHAT EVER IT COSTS...ITS WORTH IT
          EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

          Comment


          • #6
            You have to figure on paying at least $175 a day for a decent boat, so for 2 weeks its gonna be expensive. I tow my dads boat back and forth from NJ for his winter keys vacation and burned lots of gas getting 8 mpg, but he is much happier in his own boat.
            Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

            Comment


            • #7
              Rusty,

              Dont believe I want to say, but I will support you either way.

              Your mention of trucks drafting you caused me to relive my experiences on I-95 before I converted the trailer to Electric over Hydraulic brakes. What a nightmare that is, and it seems like it always happens at the worst time.

              Just a heads up if you are not aware that electric hydraulic actuator kits are available. I purchased everything I needed at Eastern Marine in Delaware. Certainly, there are other sources, but you can see everything on their site.

              https://www.easternmarine.com/

              Its nothing more than an electric pump hooked to a controller mounted in the cab. The electric pump can be actuated by the driver at any time, such as when the draft hits the boat and wants to blow you away. Just a light tap on the trailer brakes is all that is needed to straighten you out. Well not all, a good set of eyes on what is coming up from behind can keep you out of trouble.

              I purchased the Tie Down system, but if I were to do it again, I would purchase one of the other brands. Tie Down does not offer replacement rotors, so when you need a rotor, you must buy a complete wheel assembly.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

              Comment


              • #8
                That would be awesome thanks for the reply!
                quote:


                Originally posted by snappergapper


                Tow it. Vacation is a lot more fun with your own boat. You will love boating around AMI. I tow 8 hours to vacation with the boat for 8 days. 2 weeks is a bonus. Plus I can help find you some spots since you wont fish from Ohio on a regular basis....The towing is a little more stressful but if you trailer is in order it just adds a little fuel consumption.



                1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

                Comment


                • #9
                  I did drive the Chesapeake Bay bridge, that was pretty fun[xx(]
                  quote:


                  Originally posted by mrdelgado


                  If you have a reliable trailer and rig, then I'd say go for it. Practice makes perfect! We did Miami to Boston with my 25. Quite an experience...



                  1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you another vote to take the long tow!
                    quote:


                    Originally posted by Jscott


                    Hell, I tow my Mako254 12 hours to Ft. Lauderdale down I-95, so we can cross to Bimini. When people question crossing over to Bimini, I tell them the truck ride is by far the most dangerous part of the trip! That said, I wouldn't think of renting. You'll want your own boat. Just make certain the trailer is in tip top shape and you've got a spare of everything for it. tire, hub, etc..



                    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I had no idea they made such a kit! I really dont like surge breaks! I Will certainly look into it. My trailer is very nice, but its a full roller, I would much rather have a float on with electric brakes.
                      quote:


                      Originally posted by flounder


                      Rusty,

                      Dont believe I want to say, but I will support you either way.


                      Your mention of trucks drafting you caused me to relive my experiences on I-95 before I converted the trailer to Electric over Hydraulic brakes. What a nightmare that is, and it seems like it always happens at the worst time.

                      Just a heads up if you are not aware that electric hydraulic actuator kits are available. I purchased everything I needed at Eastern Marine in Delaware. Certainly, there are other sources, but you can see everything on their site.

                      https://www.easternmarine.com/

                      Its nothing more than an electric pump hooked to a controller mounted in the cab. The electric pump can be actuated by the driver at any time, such as when the draft hits the boat and wants to blow you away. Just a light tap on the trailer brakes is all that is needed to straighten you out. Well not all, a good set of eyes on what is coming up from behind can keep you out of trouble.

                      I purchased the Tie Down system, but if I were to do it again, I would purchase one of the other brands. Tie Down does not offer replacement rotors, so when you need a rotor, you must buy a complete wheel assembly.


                      1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I believe the system is a by-product of the RV brake system . You obviously don't want to submerge elec brakes, so the elec over hyd was born. You use the same controller and female socket that the RV crowd uses. The neat thing is you can convert you drum brakes to SS rotors and pads that allow you to dunk them if necessary.

                        "Kit" is probably a bad description. The rotor and pads come as kits per axle. The elec actuator is a seperate unit and you will need to block and by-pass the surge actuator on your tongue...no big deal. The controller has an internal pendulum that applies your brakes as needed when stopping. Eastern's people will know what you need and will price it up. You may have a supplier near you as well.

                        Depending on the year and type of vehicle you have, you may already be wired for the controller.

                        Yeah, surge systems are horrible in some situations. The draft problem when going down a steep hill was the worst I experienced.

                        Not any more...best thing I did to that trailer and my well being.

                        Bet you had fun coming down the West side of the Bay Bridge.[]
                        Ole Joe
                        Just floundering around
                        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                        1978 Mako 25

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          if you make the trip, let me know. I live on AMI year round. So does Scott- "the jeepguy87" a few guys on this forum keep their boats in our canal area too.

                          Worst case ill take u out once or twice on my 25
                          Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks Marc: Have any rental that support a 25 foot mako? I normaly go through VRBO, but I like it when i know a local who knows an unadvertised renter. Love AMI been coming there for last ten years. Wow how that place has changed!
                            quote:


                            Originally posted by muzzy1127


                            if you make the trip, let me know. I live on AMI year round. So does Scott- "the jeepguy87" a few guys on this forum keep their boats in our canal area too.


                            Worst case ill take u out once or twice on my 25


                            1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My dad rents kayaks and bikes out of his garage and used to do charters on his boat. He has since given up on his charter boat thing, but still rents kayaks and bikes.

                              If you need those, or a small sailboat, email me at my username at gmail and I can hook you up with him.
                              \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X