MAKO 258 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKO 258 1981

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF RESTOREING A 1981 MAKO 258 THAT IS IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE TO BEGIN WITH. I NOTICED THAT IT HAS A TENDANCY TO GET ALOT OF WATER OVER THE TRANSOME WHEN ANCHORED IN ROUGH SEAS. IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THIS MODEL AND YEAR. I HAD A 1995 231 IT ALSO HAD THE CUT OUT TRANSOM BUT I DID NOT HAVE THIS TROUBLE. ANY ONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS OR SAME [email protected]
    KD

First WELCOME Big Shark.

It's pretty common on all notched transom Mako's. It has been known to be fatel to the boat and some passangers. The trend is with the older boats to enclose the transom [full transom] and hang a bracket with outboard.

Comment

If you don't want to go the full transom/bracket route then I recommend making some sort of splash guard to help close in some of the transom. Starboard or something like that is great for this. I have talked to a few Mako owners who have done the same.

OR

Have the transom built up to 30" in height. This would change around your motor scheme though... In other words you'd have to get new motors or shaft extension kits for your current power.

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

We have the exact same problem, especially when chunking for tuna in rough water, and here is what we have been doing about it over the years:

1. First of all, only 1 guy in the back of the boat at a time.

2. Install a second aft bilge pump.

3. Get some automotive-type rubber door insulation and affix it under the fish box hatches. Keeping the water out of the fish boxes is critical to not letting this become a dangerous situation.

4. On the transom rod holder, affix a rubber door sweep to the bottom. Make sure it does not extend to the channels on either side where the water needs to drain out though.

5. Install some nice big ball scuppers and check them often for debris.

If you dock at a slip where it can get rough, put the boat stern in!

Hope this helps.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS I HAVE ALREADY BUILT A SPLASH SHEILD TO RUN FROM UNDER THE MOTOR UP 5 INCHES TO THE SIDE OF THE BOAT UP 10 INCHES. SO THE ONLY PLACE THAT SHOULD GET ANY WATER IN IS RIGHT ARROUND THE MOTOR. I MADE IT OUT OF STAR BOARD LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. DOES YOUR 258 HAVE A SINGLE OR TWINS MINE IS A SINGLE 225 I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE TO EITHER A 250 OR 300. OR TWIN 150'S. IF YOURS HAS TWINS HOW WHAT SIZE AND HP HOW DOES IT DO FOR YOU. MINE HAS A TOP OF ABOUT 30KTS CRUISE 26 KTS. DID YOU INSTALL A BRACKET ON YOUR 258? THANKS BIGSHARK

KD
          KD

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by BIGSHARK

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS I HAVE ALREADY BUILT A SPLASH SHEILD TO RUN FROM UNDER THE MOTOR UP 5 INCHES TO THE SIDE OF THE BOAT UP 10 INCHES. SO THE ONLY PLACE THAT SHOULD GET ANY WATER IN IS RIGHT ARROUND THE MOTOR. I MADE IT OUT OF STAR BOARD LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. DOES YOUR 258 HAVE A SINGLE OR TWINS MINE IS A SINGLE 225 I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE TO EITHER A 250 OR 300. OR TWIN 150'S. IF YOURS HAS TWINS HOW WHAT SIZE AND HP HOW DOES IT DO FOR YOU. MINE HAS A TOP OF ABOUT 30KTS CRUISE 26 KTS. DID YOU INSTALL A BRACKET ON YOUR 258? THANKS BIGSHARK

KD

I have a 1988 254 and have the same problem,if you had a picture you could e-mail me or post on the site I would really like to see your splash guard thanks Hammertime
            Gulf Breeze Fl.

Comment

Working...
            X