Replace Thru Hulls -?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Thru Hulls -?

Hi - I have a 97 221 Mako which I have owned for past 5 years. Last two seasons have seen an increasing amount of water in bilge after boat has been underway. Kept in a slip and bilge normally dry prior to being taken out. Thru Hulls consist of original clamshell on bottom of hull and one on transom for baitwell on Port stern side. Have seacocks closed and rarely have used baitwell. Thought is from reading prior posts that thru hulls and seacocks need to be replaced as sealant on interior of bilge appears to be coming loose. Have inspected hull and not seen any place where it is compromised to see amount of water in bilge. Question is whether replacing original thru hulls is typical maintenance on 20 year hull or should I look for alternative source of water? Also question difficulty of removing thru hulls without damaging transom or bottom hull - Step Wrench recommended to buy or are there alternative tools (Heat gun, wrench, chisel etc) that can get the job done? Better job for boatyard to do than novice/intermediate repair skills? Thanks for any insight and recommendations.

If you get a very big crescent wrench you might be able to break the nut free on the inside. Then it's just a matter of getting the rest broken free of the sealant.

Are you going through rough water when you get water in the bilge? How much water? Another source can be water forced up between any gaps between the hull and the top cap under the rub rail, although it a leaky hose is probably more suspectable. I would find the source pretty quick.
    quote:

Originally posted by Teakay

Hi - I have a 97 221 Mako which I have owned for past 5 years. Last two seasons have seen an increasing amount of water in bilge after boat has been underway. Kept in a slip and bilge normally dry prior to being taken out. Thru Hulls consist of original clamshell on bottom of hull and one on transom for baitwell on Port stern side. Have seacocks closed and rarely have used baitwell. Thought is from reading prior posts that thru hulls and seacocks need to be replaced as sealant on interior of bilge appears to be coming loose. Have inspected hull and not seen any place where it is compromised to see amount of water in bilge. Question is whether replacing original thru hulls is typical maintenance on 20 year hull or should I look for alternative source of water? Also question difficulty of removing thru hulls without damaging transom or bottom hull - Step Wrench recommended to buy or are there alternative tools (Heat gun, wrench, chisel etc) that can get the job done? Better job for boatyard to do than novice/intermediate repair skills? Thanks for any insight and recommendations.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
    X