• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud new owner of an 18 Backcountry

1979; hull 28

[][8D][]

Brought her home today!

I already have the name picked out....one which really sums it up![]

[br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Really cool boat!
    1981 15\' Boston Whaler, 1987 MidOcean 26, 1973 22\' Mako (Hull+trailer for sale)

Comment

Like new!!!

Is she restored?
      Ole Joe
      Just floundering around
      White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
      1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by flounder

Like new!!!

Is she restored?

The previous owner just did a bunch of work on her: He redid the wiring, the fuel lines, the control lines and drain & livewell plumbing.

Had the engine gone thru and he also added the Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor with wireless remote, gps 'spot lock' and twin oversized batteries w/charger.

All I gotta do is go to the DMV and title/register the boat and trailer. Truly turn-key condition.

Oh, and rebuild my fence gate (as pictured in my sig with the 236...Gotta hide the boat from the HOA (lol). After Irma, I rebuilt the fence and made the gate about a foot too narrow to fit the Backcountry thru! DOH~
        [br]DonK[br]Boca Raton, FL[br]1979 236IB: \'The Fish Tank\'[br]1979 Backcountry 18 \'Boner\'[br]<>< <>< <>< <>< ><> J[br]Redneck Troubleshooting:[br]1) If it moves, but ain\'t supposed to, use Duct Tape[br]2) If it don\'t move, but supposed to, use WD40[br]3) If that don\'t fix it, it\'s electrical![br]

Comment

This was in the pack of boat docs the previous owner gave me with the boat. [8D]

Noted on the last page: "Reprinted from Lakeview Boating, May 1979"

Comment

That's a floating fish platform that transforms into a boat. Very cool and way ahead of it's time. Enjoy her!
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Love the pic standing on the engine cowling. Don't think anyone is trying that today.
              1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

Comment

Finally got a chance to splash her last weekend My fishing club, the Sportfishermen of Broward (aka SOBs) took at trip up to one of the member's place in Moore Haven, FL on the west side of Lake Okeechobee (He runs a duck and gator hunt guide service out of there)

so took the 18 Backcountry up to do some bass fishing. It ran great and proved itself as the purpose built platform it is designed as. Absolutely love the Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor. Took a while to get the hang of it, but once I did, I can't see not having one again~ The SpotLock feature is the shizzz.

Was getting ~36 knots with four people on it, 15 gallons of fuel and calm water. Still learning the trim characteristics, but thinking this is an easy 40 knot boat.

The Duck Lodge's airboat barn:

First launch:

afloat! I also got her officially named

Hanging out with my club members for lunch in 'the monkey box':

Spent the next day buzzing around a friend's air boat...first time on a 'real' one, rather than the huge 20 passenger tourist ones. It was a blast!

We hit some bass holes, caught some bream then headed back to the barn for dinner. Went back out later that night to gig frogs...sorry no pics, my phone doesn't take night shots well but there are a butt-load of gators in Lake O! At night you see their eyes glowing red from a couple hundred yards off.

Shrimp and Cheese Grits; Garlic Frog legs; Fried bream and tilapia:

Moore Haven has a county maintained berm where folks go to do "pew research" so we played with the 'noisy toys' before heading home Sunday

My one buddy has a class III license...he brought his mortar! amazing how far a concrete filled beer can will go....

Comment

Got two items down on my knocklist this weekend: Installed the transducer, power wire and bracket for my Simrad NSS8 (from the 236, now can use the unit on both boats); and installed a captive ball (one way) garboard drain.

The boat came with a Lowrance Elite4 DSI...nice little unit, but hard to see in direct sun, and too small for my eyes...the NSS8 I am familiar with and the 8" touch screen is intuitive to use

The Airmar P79 was a snap to install, and the cable pull was easier than expected; took me about an hour total to get the entire unit installed (less cure time for the silicone I used for the 'ducer).

Previously there was a rubber compression type drain plug, but it did not fit real well (too tight, wouldn't seat fully; the next size smaller was too small). Plus the compression lever on the plug was interfering with the bilge pump's float switch. The PO gave me a box of stuff, and there was a captive ball (one way) garboard drain in it. Installation was not too bad...I picked up a 1 1/8th" stepped drill bit and reamed out the old drain sleeve; epoxied the exposed transom wood, then bedded the new drain down with 5200. I much prefer a threaded plug that goes from the outside in, as compared to a rubber plug that is put in from the inside facing out.

Comment

Hey Don....congratulations on the new addition....you are putting together a mighty fine 1979 ClassicMako collection...[]

The Backcountry 18 is a rare one....you don't see many of them and yours looks like it is in great condition for its age.

How do you like the trolling motor??? Can you share your experience / opinion on the set up and operation of the unit?

Thx....Eric
                    A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by PoleLock

Hey Don....congratulations on the new addition....you are putting together a mighty fine 1979 ClassicMako collection...[]

The Backcountry 18 is a rare one....you don't see many of them and yours looks like it is in great condition for its age.

How do you like the trolling motor??? Can you share your experience / opinion on the set up and operation of the unit?

Thx....Eric

Hi Eric!

Thanks for the compliments on the boat
                      I absolutely love the trolling motor. My trip up to Lake O was the first time I ever used one. This is the Minn Kota Riptide model (not certain of the thrust). It has its own internal GPS (antenna is mounted on top of the helm console), so has some enhanced functionality: "Spot lock", 'Course tracking' and 'maintain heading'

It took me about ten minutes of playing with it to get the hang of it, but afterwards it was very intuitive.

I did not use the foot controller (although had it onboard as a back up); I spent the day using only the wireless remote control hanging from a lanyard around my neck. All available controls are on the remote: Steering, prop on/off, prop speed, spot lock, record track, replay track, hold heading. Plus you can preset power settings, i.e. with one button go to a preset power level.

The remote has no lag time, the motor responds to button presses almost instantly.

The Spotlock feature is awesome. One press and the boat holds it's gps location; If there is current or wind, the boat may spin around to head into the wind, but the motor will stay within a couple feet (or less?) of the coordinates. we got into some pretty tight areas in the bushes, with maybe fifteen feet of clearance, and the spot lock held us right smack dab in the middle.

It was also very useful when we started running back to the dock...we had gotten into the mud and weeds in the shallows, and sucked some silt into the outboard. Started getting overheat alarms when we started running. I simply deployed the trolling motor, and either spot-locked us, or set a heading and puttered along down the channel while taking remedial action. This was great because we were in a narrow channel, and wanted to stay close to the sides in case a bass boat were to come hauling ass through.

At the lowest setting, the motor could keep us moving forward at nice slow pace even in a 15 knot wind. At full power, the boat was moving at a couple miles an hour. (it has an MPH reading on the remote, but do not recall what it was at various speeds.)

This boat came with the trolling motor rigged with two group 31 batteries in series (24v). They lasted all day with between 1/4 - 1/2 charge remaining. It has the Minn Kota 3 bank smart charger onboard as well; it will charge the two trolling motor batteries as well as the engine's start battery.

If any, the only thing I found awkward was deploying the motor. You have to step on a foot lever to unlock it while squeezing the locking collar's lever on the shaft with your hand. It's really not bad, but I am left handed, and the motor is on the right side of the bow, so I feel a little contorted when deploying it...but that is just personal opinion. I saw that there are ones out there that have automatic deployment (from the remote) but I don't mind what I have

I am looking forward to getting this out in the S. Florida backcountry in either the 10,000 islands (Chokoloskee) or down in the Keys....it will be a great tool for 'gunkholing' around the mangroves, flats and cuts.

Will still get a pole for complete 'stealth mode', but the trolling motor will work as long as the boat is floating so unless I am targeting bonefish or permit, will probably use it more often than the pole. It certainly is easier

Comment

Thanks Don for such a detailed response regarding the trolling motor on your boat.

It sounds like an awesome set up...I really appreciate you sharing the list of positive functions and performance of the unit.

I am considering installing one on my boat....do you have any images showing how it is mounted??? where are the two batteries located???.....last one, I promise []....what is the shaft length???

Thx again...Eric
                        A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by PoleLock

Thanks Don for such a detailed response regarding the trolling motor on your boat.

It sounds like an awesome set up...I really appreciate you sharing the list of positive functions and performance of the unit.

I am considering installing one on my boat....do you have any images showing how it is mounted??? where are the two batteries located???.....last one, I promise []....what is the shaft length???

Thx again...Eric

No problem Eric...I could talk about Classic Makos and boat stuff all day Long

The mounting was done by the previous owner, but here are some pics. He had raised the foredeck with Starboard to make it flush with the gunnel lips. Not sure if it is thru bolted or just screwed in?

The PO is an aircraft mechanic, so for the power cable, he added some kind of aviation connector that has a thumbscrew to hold the plug in. Maybe overkill, but a nice upgrade

There isn't a heck of a lot of stowage in the Backcountry, and really the only suitable place for the batteries is the lazarette. The two group 31 batteries take up the entire port side. The start battery, the charger, and the pumps, valves, etc are all under the starboard side hatch.

The shaft is 60" (center of the head to the center of the motor).

Hope all this helps! Feel free to hit me up with any other questions.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don for sharing the images of your trolling motor...that's a sweet set up and now I have a better understanding of how it is mounted to the bow of the boat.

Eric

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

Howdy,

Nice to see another Backcountry in South Florida. I've had mine since 1996 or so and just complete a total refit. It would be cool to get together and go fishing with both boats.

Take care.

https://imgur.com/a/D50EFB2

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=45328
                              Captain Scott[br][email protected][br]Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X