1988 Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mako

Hi, new to this forum and boating in general. Thinking about buying this 1988 Mako center console 20. My question is: I found a soft spot in the deck and that has me concerned after seeing some pictures of rotted wood lol. The spot is behind the console and i guess where the gas tank is. Does anybody have any thoughts as to what i could be facing here. Any ideas on how to approach investigating it? Its a salt water boat with a new fourstroke motor approx 100 hours. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Is the soft spot in the tank cover?
    2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Sounds like the coffin lid.

If you want to do it right, pull up the console, but the lid, and recore it.
      \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Welcome to CM! It does sound like the coffin lid, aka the hatch over the fuel tank. It is soft because somewhere water has gotten into the wood core and it is starting to delaminate. It's not a hard fix and the correct way is as jeepguy stated.

I had an '85 20c and loved the boat and always wished for a four stroke. Good luck!
        quote:

Originally posted by Biscuit7

Hi, new to this forum and boating in general. Thinking about buying this 1988 Mako center console 20. My question is: I found a soft spot in the deck and that has me concerned after seeing some pictures of rotted wood lol. The spot is behind the console and i guess where the gas tank is. Does anybody have any thoughts as to what i could be facing here. Any ideas on how to approach investigating it? Its a salt water boat with a new fourstroke motor approx 100 hours. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Thanks.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

OH, thats really intresting stuff guys. I hope its that easy. I was thinking that there might be more rotten wood ie in the stringers and such? So, do you guys think its just the cover? I mean i guess the only way to know would be to unscrew the chairs and hatch to look in there???? If it is just the hatch, do i need to completely remove the console or just the back (and lift it) where it sits on the gas cover hatch?? Thanks so much..

Comment

I have the same year boat and had the same problem. You should be able to only disconnect some things to get the console up high enough to remove the cover. The easiest way I found to remove the coring was with an air hammer and chisel bit.

I don't remember all of the fiberglass materials that I used to recore.

You can find information using the CM search function.

The small section of area just aft of the console can be a high stress point if two people are standing on it.

When I replaced the cover I bolted a piece of 1/4" aluminum angle section to the cover and had it extend several inches over the deck on either side. I did not bolt it to the deck. I've used the boat for 6 years and the cover is as strong as I first put it down.

Note: the aluminum angle is located inside the console.
            2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

You can most likely get the console high enough to get the hatch off and out of the boat. You really only need to move it forward a couple inches and tilt forward to get the back up 6-12".

Here is some homework: [8D]

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks so much for your advice. I like this club already.

Comment

Bicuit,

The deck in my 17 Mako has been delaminting for a decade or more. I also had a Grady white with soft deck hatches. Pull the coffin lid out and cut the fiberglass away on the bottom side of the hatch and then scrape out the core wood. I replaced the core on my Grady hatches with 3/4" marine plywood, but they were in the middle of the deck and a fighting chair was bolted to one of them. I screwed the board to the fiberglass and epoxy coated the whole thing. After 6 years it was no different that when I first did it.
                  Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Working...
                  X