How much caulk is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much caulk is too much?

Resealing my three bronze thru hulls with Lifecaulk( opted for this instead of 5200 as I might take out for painting in the near future). Nice recess on the mating face of the thru hull that holds silicone. I epoxied the thru hull bores and am now ready to reinstall. How much caulk and where? Seems that the only place thats important is the face the touches the transom face? Do you coat the thru hull bore? Do you put some on nut flange for insurance? Thanks in advance.
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

if the core material is exposed inside the hole then you will need to seal both sides of the transom. best plan is to tape over the area around the hole on the transom, insert the fitting and cut the tape around the fitting, remove the fitting and peel the tape that was under the fitting. put sealer on the fitting and install, wipe off excess sealer from tape and fitting and pull off the tape. this will provide a super clean install.

most below the waterline sealers recommend snugging the fitting and then tightening after the sealer cures but read the instructions for the specific product you are using.

fwiw
    76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

Thank you the tape is a great idea!

The core is not exposed in anyway. The holes are now thoroughly coated in epoxy.

[img][/img]
      quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

if the core material is exposed inside the hole then you will need to seal both sides of the transom. best plan is to tape over the area around the hole on the transom, insert the fitting and cut the tape around the fitting, remove the fitting and peel the tape that was under the fitting. put sealer on the fitting and install, wipe off excess sealer from tape and fitting and pull off the tape. this will provide a super clean install.

most below the waterline sealers recommend snugging the fitting and then tightening after the sealer cures but read the instructions for the specific product you are using.

fwiw

1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

The tape method can be effective but if the edge of the tape is very close to the fitting's edge, pulling the tape can 'lift' the caulk away from the rear surface. As to the question as to how much to use, I don't want to sound smug but whatever oozes out is the amount you over applied The fitting needs to be fairly snug but not over tightened. It is possible to squeeze out too much of the sealant.

Lifecalk's curing time can be sped up by spraying a light mist over the area you are going to seal. Typical cure time is a few days.

If you use the tape don't let it sit too long. If the sealant cures, you wont be able to get the tape off cleanly. I usually peel the tape pretty soon after the caulk is applied. If the thru-hull fitting is below the water line, you should also seal the backside nut/fitting. Since the hole was epoxied, don't apply the lifecalk around the barrel of the thru hull. If you do you may have a heck of a time in the future if you need to remove it.

And just to be a nudge, you mentioned the word Silicone. Silicone should not be used for any applications below the water line.

Comment

Working...
        X