plastic gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic gas tank?

What are the pros and cons of replacing my fuel tank with a Moeller pre-fab plastic tank?

Boat is a 1989 Mako 231.

Original tank 160 Gallons.

I am on the Chesapeake and will never go 'off shore' where I need that much capacity to follow the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule.

Options for replacement:

1. 160 gal Aluminum fab tank to match original by either Sunshine tanks or Speedy tanks --about the same cost at around $1800 (plus shipping unless I pick it up)

2. 90 gal Moeller plastic tank about $455 (free shipping on Amazon prime). Probably would require an additional inspection port added to the coffin lid to access the fuel gauge and pick up.

The new tank is 77" long versus 105" for original. I would try to keep tank as far forward as possible to keep weight towards front.

Saving $1300 is not nothing!

Thanks for your thought!
    - Bob

I am considering a Moeller tank for my 17 Angler. I would caution against significantly reducing the fuel capacity of an offshore boat regardless of whether you use it or not. I was helping a friend shop and an owner did something similar to one of the boats my friend looked at. We liked everything else about the boat but did not buy it because it didn't have the range we needed. Also, your needs for the boat may change, or you may decide to travel, or who knows what. Personally, I wouldn't want that limitation, but it's not my boat. I'll be following this discussion for sure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Plastic tanks do not have baffles, that is a lot of fuel sloshing around and increasing the instability of the boat. Additionally if you are thinking of foaming the tank, the foam will expand and compress a plastic tank, not a good plan.
      David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

We put a plastic tank in my dads 2001 192. We went from the 80 gallon tank to 53 gallons. It was close to the original outside dimensions but a little lower. We have had no issues and got the tank from great lakes skipper in 3 days as opposed to waiting for 3 weeks and the cost was about 1/3 of an aluminum tank. We foamed the tank in to stabilize it. This was done in 2008 and have not had any issues.
        Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cgmiller

We put a plastic tank in my dads 2001 192. We went from the 80 gallon tank to 53 gallons. It was close to the original outside dimensions but a little lower. We have had no issues and got the tank from great lakes skipper in 3 days as opposed to waiting for 3 weeks and the cost was about 1/3 of an aluminum tank. We foamed the tank in to stabilize it. This was done in 2008 and have not had any issues.

Agree you can get away with it in a small tank.
          David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Working...
          X