Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 Mako--what to look for

All,

I'm sort of new to the board here. Have always liked Makos and was particularly fond of the 285/286 models. I had seen them new at a boat show years ago and was very impressed. However, they are quite large, and not easy to trailer. Had found a 286 local to me a few years ago.

The last boat I had was a 24 Blackfin Combi with twin Volvo diesels. Nice boat, but very heavy. And wet. Took the water nice though. Anyway, I've been boatless since 2005, with the exception of a kayak.

I've seen a late '70's 25 for sale local to me, and am considering going over to look at it. Seller says the boat has been garage kept for the last 20 years.

Trying to do my homework before going out to look at it, and am wondering where to look for problem areas on the boat. I've read about the tank/foam issues, plus transom, floor and stringers. Are there access points thru hatches and such to see transom and stringer issues?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Kurt

you pretty much hit the high points. Plan on replacing the tank adn the tank lines. The older 25's had an aluminum elbow where the fuel fill lines made a 90* turn under the deck and you have to cut an opening to get to it to cut it out. Stringers are usually pretty good but if the transom is wet the stringer core is butted up to the transom core so water will migrate into the stringers. Mine were wet/oily for two feet forward of the transom. You need to use a rubber mallet to bang on the transom and stringers and listen for a change in the sound telling you it is a wet core.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Another garage find. Sounds good, good luck, you may have found a real gem.

Comment

Kurt,

I echo Sailors comments. Go look at it. With the knowledge that you surely acquired through prior ownership experience, a visual inspection should tell you most of what you need to know for your decision.

You also have the option of hiring a surveyor if your inspection raises questions in your mind. I can furnish you with a name if you need one.

If you are considering the 25 that I think you are, the seller indicates that both the transom and tanks have been replaced. Assuming that is so, the remaining weak point in the fuel system might be the aluminum fill and vent lines that Sailor mentioned. Tough job to replace these.

Yes, you can get to the rear stringers through the inspection plate in the splash well. Only the rear portion will be visible.

You mentioned that your Blackfin was heavy and wet. Some consider the early 25s wet when compared to the 254 & 251. Yes, they will wet you down if you dont mind to your sea keeping skills. The 25 runs a little deeper in the water than do the 254 & 251. However, I have never felt like they were heavy. Rather I feel like they are quit nimble with very good balance.

By comparison, I bought a 236 which I planned to keep on the Chesapeake while keeping my 25 at Ocean City for off shore use. The 236 felt heavy as you observed with your Blackfin. It was not nimble and was a disappointment to me We re-propped it and sold it. It was a beautiful boat though, the 236 is my favorite Mako for appearance. I guess the center of balance with an inboard creates that feeling, especially in the shorter hull.

Anyway, go look at it and do sea trials if possible. I would be surprised if you do not come home enthused about the prospect of purchase.
        Ole Joe
        Just floundering around
        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
        1978 Mako 25

Comment

Kurt,

A little more for you to chew on. There are subtle differences between the 25, 254, and 251 hull. Some prefer the early hull (25) while others like the later 254 and 251. The caps and liners are quite different between the 25 and the two others. Everyone has their own preference.

If you go here: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...4&whichpage=15 and begin reading (Blackfin 9/29/09 post) at the bottom of the page you will acquire a wealth of information. The conversation between Blackfin and Triple Bogey, as well as others, goes on to page17 to a post dated 11/4/09 by Triple Bogey. There is more info in other areas, but this will wet your whistle.
          Ole Joe
          Just floundering around
          1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments. The onus is on me now to get out and look her over.

Flounder, the one I'm interested in is all original. Nothing's been done to it according to the current owner. Still has the original decks, transom, and the engines he says are twin Johnson 140 loopers. No clue on hours. But he says it's been kept in a garage while not in use for the last 20 years, since he's owned it. Only moved out last year when he picked up a skiff more suitable to his current needs. Decks not soft according to him, and no fuel tank problems. He says the transom is real solid.

The 25 sure sounds like a nice rig, from all the comments on the link you gave me.

Thanks again!

Kurt

Comment

Wow! That is not the one that I was thinking of. If it is what he says it is, and I have no reason to doubt, then both you and Rustyolddad have truely come up with very unusual finds. Amazing.

Good luck to you.

Give us all your report when the time is right please.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

Not that nice. I wish.

This one has some miles on it, bottom's been painted before, dark staining on the glass, that type of stuff. Photos are from far enough away it's hard to tell.

Comment

Well, you will know when you see it. Being kept inside can mean a big difference in her condition. Dirt and grim are easy to deal with...and you get to have fun cleaning her up.

Good luck.
                  Ole Joe
                  Just floundering around
                  1978 Mako 25

Comment

Working...
                  X