Thoughts on Mako 258 cuddy with__twin 250s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Mako 258 cuddy with__twin 250s

Okay guys need some thoughts. I have the opportunity to buy to Johnson 250s they are 2000 carb Motors. Currently I have twin 150s and they are also Johnson's. The motors I have the opportunity to buy come with new steering all the gauges controls props everything I need to bolt up and go. Has anybody put these on the transom not on a bracket. Currently at 4000rpms I run 30-32 miles per hour depending on conditions. I'm not looking to run a race but I can pick all this up for 5K. Any thoughts and considerations would be to be appreciated. My current props pitch are 19 and the props coming with the 250 Sr Viper and they are 21. The current dry weight of my 150 Motors are 380 lb a piece and the dry weight of the proposed Motors are 455 pounds a piece.
    2000 Bluefin Profish 180[br]1984 Mako 258 Cuddy

the carb 250s are gonna be incredibly THIRSTY

that's also a lot of weight for a factory transom and will probably put your deck at or below the waterline
    76 25 \"Aenigma\"[br]73 17[br]Richland/Long Beach, MS[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14182[br][br]17 project[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56176

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ssfishx

the carb 250s are gonna be incredibly THIRSTY

that's also a lot of weight for a factory transom and will probably put your deck at or below the waterline

Are the 2000 series Johnson's more efficient than 1993 year? Currently the 150 horsepower motors I have are 150 OMC which I know are Johnson's. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

I got a 1991 250 Johnson on my boat. It runs around 50 wide open and cruises around 46 47. Mines a v8 not sure if the 2000 250 is a v8 or v6. But twin v8's might be too heavy.
        1982 Mako 254

Comment

I went from a early 90's 6 carbed 200hp to an '08 175hp Etec. It is an amazing difference.

The noise & fuel burn are less than 50% of the older motors.

Not sure about the 2000 vs '93. But carbs are carbs & there is unburnt gas being exhausted due to the design. With the D. I. system on the Etec's, the exhaust reeds are closed before they are injected with fuel.

There is a reason the person selling is doing so. Either they have a problem or he got tired of feeding them.

If it were me, I'd wait to get a 4 stroke or a more efficient 2 stroke. Good luck non the less.
          1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The 250 I'm looking at rvh. And I would love to upgrade to a more fuel efficient 2-stroke or maybe a single 4-stroke. I might just go ahead and look around and do that. The deal I'm getting on these 250 S pretty amazing it comes with props controls gauges pretty much everything is set it up. Even the steering. The guy selling them is selling them because he's upgrading to new varados. He bought the boat which I found online with verifiably 379 hours and currently the boat has 419 hours on the original Motors. It was very well maintained and all paperwork checks out. But even in a good deal I don't want to make the wrong choice again I appreciate all the input.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Holgatelbi

That is one beautiful Mako and looks amazing with that etec. I found a deal on two 2010 150s for 15k installed.

Comment

Stick with the devil you know. (current power)

Save up a few bucks and when you do re-power look at some of the more modern options. There has been a huge leap in tech in the last 10 years. Lots of good options out there, just throwing more fuel in your engine isn't worth the time money and effort to go to the 250's
                [br]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to wait. I would definitely like to get something made a inside of the last ten years. Etecs would be my first choice.
                  quote:

Originally posted by makomac1

Stick with the devil you know. (current power)

Save up a few bucks and when you do re-power look at some of the more modern options. There has been a huge leap in tech in the last 10 years. Lots of good options out there, just throwing more fuel in your engine isn't worth the time money and effort to go to the 250's

Comment

Working...
                  X