Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bimini top for a 17

Any suggestions on which brand?

Im currently looking at Carver and ANP brands.

Any other brands I should be considering?
    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

This topic has been discussed in other threads. Depending on whether you fish a lot or just cruise around should help to determine the type of coverage you want. Typically a Bimini top with straps and supports make fishing more difficult. On our previous 17 we went with a T-top design which provided shade and overhead rod holder fit our needs. The t-top was manufactured by FSmarine in St. Pete. Check out their website. The top was 6'x4' in proportion to the 17 console.
    Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I'd check Dons Salvage in Clearwater for a used one or a t top.

http://donsmarinesalvageyard.com/

Comment

@Keyman

Yeah, I always search before I post a new topic but didn't see what I was looking for.

Not a fan of T-tops on the 17.

I'm looking for maximum shade and plan on buying new.

The ANP site offers them up to 8' in stainless steel.

I'm going to go as large as possible as long as I can get it to lay right on the foredeck radius.

Any other input is appreciated.
        1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

Again check FSMarine.com you won't be dissatisfied. If I could post a picture you'd see that T-top fits a 17 just fine.

Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

My dad has a Key West 1720 which is quite similar to a 17 Mako. We have the Bimini that came with the boat from the factory. Gotta say that is the way to go with the smaller boats. We rarely put it on except when its really hot out. Comes on and off the boat in minutes. Pull 4 pins and remove two clips and its off. Gives better shade than a T-top ever would on this size boat.

With:

Without:

Comment

After looking at your location maybe a Bimini is best choice. Up north fishing in the fall a t-top with an enclosure really makes a difference. We had a five sided enclosure which protected us from the elements. Bat wings folded back while running and side panels kept blowing rain out. Again t-top made fishing easier without supports and straps to manveur around.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I'm from "up north". Boat goes back and forth between NJ and Florida. For fishing I'm not a fan of anything overhead. That's why I never put a T-top on my 224. I don't want anything in the way of being able to cast 360* from anyplace on the boat. To me that's part of the beauty of the easily removable Bimini top.

Comment

Not sure where you are located a but I have a bimini off of an '18 Grady that I currently have no use for. Stainless steel, 4 bow, navy blue. Bought it for my '17 project and ended up selling the boat before I finished it. It was supposedly new when I got it and it's been hanging in my garage for years.

I've been thinking about selling it so let me know if you would be interested.
                  Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

@gw204

I live in Sarasota and am interested in your bimini. Do you know the complete dimensions?

Is it SS or aluminum?

Thanks

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Megalops

@gw204

I live in Sarasota and am interested in your bimini. Do you know the complete dimensions?

Is it SS or aluminum?

Thanks

It's SS. I'll pull it down this weekend and get some measurements and pics for you.
                      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Comment

I bought one of the cheapo ones. I have had it for 6 years but my boat is garage kept.

Comment

I've also got one that came off a 1971 17' Mako Standard. It's stainless with black sunbrella canvas. Has a storage boot. Sold the boat a couple of years ago so it's been sitting in garage taking up space since then. If gw204's doesn't work out and you're interested I can pull it out and take some pics.
                            Chris[br]Fort Myers,Fl[br]1986 Mako 20C[br]2003 Yamaha 150

Comment

@fortygrip

I'd like to see pics of yours. I prefer black over dark blue and you are close to Sarasota.

Please send pics and price to [email protected] g mail dot com

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X