1984 254 Center Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 254 Center Console

Just did a major makeover on a 254 CC. I added a hard top,enclosed the back and installed a bracket so I can get twins on her. Looking for a recommendation on engines. I'd like to be able to "get up and go" but don't want to overpower. Any insight/recommendations on

motor size would be appreciated.
    Paul Kane

Welcome to CM. We would love seeing pics of the boat and work.

What type of bracket did you go with? Extra flotation? I suspect these would be too heavy...

https://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/d/...455754117.html

I would like your set-up with single 300-350, but, if the bracket is right, I would suspect twin 150-200's would be a nice fit.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Hi pj, I'm starting a '85 254 myself & I've spec out the 175 E-Tec's for my project. There are plenty of "good reads" here on CM from newbies like myself to the Mako Family & long time Mako owners both with a plethora of knowledge. I'm sure you will find what's right for you. Keep us posted

Comment

I have an 86 mako 254 and re-powered with twin mercury 154 strokes. Pushes the boat great. Mercs are lightest in their class.

The only thing I can't answer is how they will do on an extension bracket, because I haven't made that conversion yet. I'd love to hear what other people have to say about how twin 4-strokes will perform off an extension bracket.

I'd like to know the angle of your extension bracket if you know it. (Degrees)

Comment

Ok I just figured out the "posting pictures" thing. Some shots of the bracket and a few shots post hard top installation. May make it a little easier for you friendly experts to give me some input!

Paul Kane

Comment

I have an 85' 25'4" and I added a 30" set back flotation bracket and am running twin 225 Mercury Optimax engines.

I wish I could see your photos as I want to do a hard top on mine.
            \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Okay trying the pics from imgur. I guess photobucket teases you then tries to get you to pay $400 a year for the pics to link to 3rd party. I hope this works!

Paul Kane

Comment

The boat looks Great! That is a nice big tub on your bracket. I would really look into Suzuki or Yamaha 200's.
                \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Thanks! Do you think it could handle 225s?
                  Paul Kane

Comment

it prob could handle the 225's, but with all manufacturers besides etecs, which I personally would not, over 200hp you're going into 6 cylinder blocks with a decent amount more weight to deal with each motor.Like Chuck said, the new inline 4 stroke 200's, Yamaha or suzuki would be IDEAL.Unless you came across a sick deal on a set of 150 or 175's same blocks, the inline 4 200's would make that one of the most bad ass 254's out there(with electronic shift and selective rotation gearcases of course just for the sweet cherry on top haha)Good luck and keep sharing the progress! Nice job on that rig

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!
                      Paul Kane

Comment

I have a bracket and 225s on my 254. Ride is fine. The 200 and 225 are the same block with the Mercury's that I have. That means same weight.
                        \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

How much did you pay for the Armstrong bracket. Been wanting to do the same to my 254 but my old v8 250 keeps starting.
                          1982 Mako 254

Comment

I can't comment on your boat, but I can say I have had great success with the 175hp Etec I hung on the back of my 228.

It was a used motor with 300 hours & in my opinion - a deal I couldn't walk away from.

My only issue has been fuel related & since I've done away with the ethanol gas, all has been fixed.

The Etecs are offering some exceptional warranties & possibly free rigging.

They are also like a raped ape out of the hole. Single 175 has been giving me 3 mpg at 4000 rpm cruise.

But, opinions are like butt holes - everyone has one & most of them stink.
                            1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X