removing bottom paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing bottom paint

Has anyone ever successfully removed bottom paint and painted bottom with awlgrip (or some other version) to give it the fresh new look? I painted the bottom of my Mako20, but it never had bottom paint. I'm restoring a '25 now and it has old bottom paint. Just curious if the gel-coat will be smooth enough after soda blasting to still have the smooth look without excessive sanding labor etc....

Interested in hearing from folks who've actually done this before.

Thanks, Jim

quote:

Originally posted by Jscott

Has anyone ever successfully removed bottom paint and painted bottom with awlgrip (or some other version) to give it the fresh new look? I painted the bottom of my Mako20, but it never had bottom paint. I'm restoring a '25 now and it has old bottom paint. Just curious if the gel-coat will be smooth enough after soda blasting to still have the smooth look without excessive sanding labor etc....

Interested in hearing from folks who've actually done this before.

Thanks, Jim

I just had the bottom of mine blasted and am in the process of painting it with interlux 2000. You will be surprised the voids they blow in the bottom of the boat when they blast it.

I could probably sand the bottom and most of the gel would still be there, but there would be a lot of repair to the gel.
    \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Mine wasn't blasted, but after years of beaching, trailer loading, and coat after coat of bottom paint, it did require a good bit of sanding. I had dings and gouges that I filled with thickened gel and sanded smooth.
      \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

So, Jeepguy, are you unhappy with the your blasting? Did it leave the cratered look on the glass? I am debating whether it is worth the trouble or not. Maybe I should just accept what I have and repaint with a fresh coat of bottom paint.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jscott

So, Jeepguy, are you unhappy with the your blasting? Did it leave the cratered look on the glass? I am debating whether it is worth the trouble or not. Maybe I should just accept what I have and repaint with a fresh coat of bottom paint.

I am happy with the blasting, but for it to be a nice paint job it would take a lot of time sanding and fairing. My bottom paint was flaking off so it was time to remove it.

I am going to fill the voids and paint with interlux 2000 and leave it at that. It can be a bit rough and I am fine with it.
          \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

I tried removing the bottom paint with both Peel Away (not very good) and the Interlux Stripper (Too good ... starting eating into the gel coat) and ended up using a modified paint scraper (added a handle for elbow grease) and sanded the rest off. Actually worked pretty good, but my zoot suit was bottom paint blue in the end.

I used Interlux Performance after priming the surface. The Performance has teflon in it which is supposed to have less drag in the water. However, it did not "flow" like the Interlux Perfection which I used on the top. I did a Fighting Lady Yellow Perfection over the Performance White with a Navy Blue boot stripe. I am happy with it.
            72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

I stripped mine using chemical stripper plus paint scraper. My bottom paint was very thick, would have taken forever to sand off. I completed the chemical strip in about 8 hours. But that was with the boat flipped upside down.

If your serious about redoing the bottom, then take time to flip boat over. The 5 hours I spent flipping the boat were peanuts compared to the time and wear/tear on my back saved.

What ever you do to remove paint will require some degree of filling fairing for 40yrs worth of scrapes, voids, etc.

Unless you have your heart set on brand new bottom look and are willing to invest the significant time and energy to get to that stage- a coat of fresh bottom paint is always a great low impact/high reward route.

Comment

I used Easy Off oven cleaner and a putty knife. It took about 8 cans and a ton of shop tags.

First I dry scraped as much as I could get off. Then I did a section at a time with the oven cleaner. FYI- the cheap stuff works just as good as the name brand.

Fortunately, I had access to equipment that allowed me to work overhead.

I'm hoping to be able to lightly sand the remaining blue tint off, and leave the original gelcoat as is.
                M20 project-Finally Splashed!
                https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
                Gallery
                https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

Working...
                X