1990 Mako 260 WA issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Mako 260 WA issues

I am new to this forum but I have searched for topics on the 260 WA and found only a few. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one for sale down here in TX but there are a few concerns. Do the fuel tanks on this model have the same saturated foam problems prevalent on other models? Also the deck and the coffin cover and the fish box hatches are all dished-out/ uneven but didn't notice any soft spots. does this indicate any thing rotten in the core or is it just old age. the boat will be pulled out of the water next week for the mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection so we will be able to look at the transom more closely but so far no obvious cracks/ delam or bowing that I can tell. Are these hulls plywood cored transoms? I can't remember if iv'e read already on here one way or the other. Also the windows and the windsheild seem to be leaking a little. There are some rubber strips inserted in the channels at the base of the windshield. Replace maybe? Any input on any of this will be much appreciated. Many thanks because I really love this boat.

P.S.Is this too many Qs for one post. I'm totaly green at this.
    Charles N Clifford

Slingbait,

The answers to most of what you asked are yes. Plywood cores, hatches are cored with either plywood or balsa. Fixing that is not that big of a deal. You can cut out the core material and replace it with marine plywood and epoxy it all in there. The fighting chair on my 1990 Grady was like one of those wobbly spring mounted kid rides in a playground. I had to do that with my 1990 Grady White. ALL boat windows leak. I fixed that on every boat I had with windows by caulking the outside of the perimeter of the window with clear silicone caulk. There are drains in the window channels that get plugged with dirt. Clean them out and the caulk everything to try to keep the water out.
    Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Slingbait,

The answers to most of what you asked are yes. Plywood cores, hatches are cored with either plywood or balsa. Fixing that is not that big of a deal. You can cut out the core material and replace it with marine plywood and epoxy it all in there. The fighting chair on my 1990 Grady was like one of those wobbly spring mounted kid rides in a playground. I had to do that with my 1990 Grady White. ALL boat windows leak. I fixed that on every boat I had with windows by caulking the outside of the perimeter of the window with clear silicone caulk. There are drains in the window channels that get plugged with dirt. Clean them out and the caulk everything to try to keep the water out.
      Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Thanks Mr. Miller for your timely response. I did a little more research on here and found some pictures of a coffin box lid that was being re-cored so that was an excellent example that helps immensely. Would you or anyone happen to know where to get the paint to touch up the wind shield/windows/hatch frames? The salt air has corroded the aluminum causing the paint to peel. Removing these and completely refinishing and replacing rubber gaskets would be one of my future projects.
        Charles N Clifford

Comment

I don't know much about the 260 walk around and how the windows are installed.

But if they can be removed without too much trouble, have them sandblasted and powder coated.

Aflyer
          1990 Mako 231[br]1989 Luhrs T320[br]1973 Egg Harbor 30\' Sedan Fisherman[br]1953 Chris Craft Rocket 17 (Dad\'s Boat)[br]

Comment

Sling, I have owned this boat since 1992 and it is a tank. I don't keep it in the water so that may be why mine is in such good shape. No soft spots, still the original tank. transom solid. I had windows done by ocean dynamics in Miami. Powder coated everything I could take off the boat. Takes a pounding offshore, but wont set any wot records. solid boat.

Comment

Working...
            X