Self Draining Cockpit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Draining Cockpit

I have a 1990 Mako 231, and the deck scuppers aren't working as intended.

These are the rectangular rubber flap design that I am talking about and the problem is the rubber flap is so stiff/hard that it doesn't flex to allow the water out.

Has anyone found a source for the rubber flaps? I think there are about 2" X 5", but I admit I haven't measured them. Just trying to locate a few supplies for fall maintenance.

Thank you,

Aflyer
    1990 Mako 231[br]1989 Luhrs T320[br]1973 Egg Harbor 30\' Sedan Fisherman[br]1953 Chris Craft Rocket 17 (Dad\'s Boat)[br]

I would just do a search for stock rubber material and make your own. What is the thickness? 3/16"
    2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

Noname Dave,

Thank you for the response, I think it is 1/4 thick.

I was hoping someone on this forum had found a source.

I am concerned about the proper flexibility to keep water out, but at the same time letting water out.

Thanks again,

George
      1990 Mako 231[br]1989 Luhrs T320[br]1973 Egg Harbor 30\' Sedan Fisherman[br]1953 Chris Craft Rocket 17 (Dad\'s Boat)[br]

Comment

Noname Dave,

Thank you for the response, I think it is 1/4 thick.

I was hoping someone on this forum had found a source.

I am concerned about the proper flexibility to keep water out, but at the same time letting water out.

Thanks again,

George

Comment

I replaced the rubber flappers on our 250 with standard 1/16" rubber sheet material. The water flows out just fine and the flaps are flexible enough to prevent water from splashing in. Are your scuppers above the water line? The flap type scuppers are not watertight. Some guys have modified the rectangular type by installing a solid piece and using the ping ball type scuppers. We had those on our 17 and still plugged the scupper openings to prevent water from coming in, but the scuppers were below the waterline.
          Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Hi keyman,

Yes mine are above the water, although not by allot. They actually work quite well, or used to before the rubber got so hard and inflexible.

I actually measured it today, it is 3/16 thick, I will see what I can find on-line.

Thank you,

George

Comment

Hi keyman,

Yes mine are above the water, although not by allot. They actually work quite well, or used to before the rubber got so hard and inflexible.

I actually measured it today, it is 3/16 thick, I will see what I can find on-line.

Thank you,

George

Comment

The 3/16" rubber will not provide the flexibility you want. Most hardware stores have small sheets of rubber.
                Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

The 3/16" rubber will not provide the flexibility you want. Most hardware stores have small sheets of rubber.
                  Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

When I replaced the flappers on my 211, I went to a local tire shop and asked for a hunk of inner tube from a tractor trailer tire.

They were more than happy to just give me the whole tube since it was a blow out.
                    1992 211 w/175 OptiMax
                    Glen Campbell, Pa.

Comment

Keyman, Radioman,

These are both great ideas, although I thought something as thin as a tire tube would be too thin to seal the water out.

Learn something new everyday.

I will stop by ACE today.

Thank you,

Aflyer

Comment

I bought new ones from GEMLUX. I don't see them on their website anymore but it is on this webpage http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/plumb-drains-misc

If you call them they probably still have them. I think they just keep their website simple and don't list everything they have. I have bought several items from them and they are real nice to deal with.
                        Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

BlueCrab,

Thank you, followed Keyman's advice and went to the hardware store. I got 2 nice pieces of rubber for like 6 bucks. They are 6 X 6 one is 1/8 inch and one is 1/16 thick.

My boat is coming out next week for fall cleaning and a tuneup, I will remake the flaps then.

Thank you to all,

Aflyer

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mymako231

BlueCrab,

Thank you, followed Keyman's advice and went to the hardware store. I got 2 nice pieces of rubber for like 6 bucks. They are 6 X 6 one is 1/8 inch and one is 1/16 thick.

My boat is coming out next week for fall cleaning and a tuneup, I will remake the flaps then.

Thank you to all,

Aflyer

I would have done the same thing except the previous owner left it in the water and corrosion set in and pitted the housings really bad.
                            Brian[br]1992 Mako 221[br]1987 Bayliner 17 (sold)[br]1963 Elgin (sold)[br]Pasadena,MD[br][email protected][br]I am a PROUD DEPLORABLE[br]\"Make America Great Again\"[br]

Comment

I replaced mine with some thin rubber sheet i bought online. Thin isn't bad, it is more flexible and seals well when water tries to come in.
                              Gailhunter[br]1996 231 2011yamaha f225xca offshore[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X