Motor Shaft Length Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Shaft Length Recomendations

I have 1996 243 WA with a 250 HP and there is a step-up from the bottom of hull to the swim platform. Should the engine finish at the bottom of the swim platform (which is does now) or the hull. Boat rides fine on plane just seems sluggish getting there compared to other boats I have owned without that step.

Thanks for any info.
    SteveA

Old school used to say run a straight edge along the bottom of the hull & cav plate should be right there.

It is a good place to start. Now, with motors being mounted further & further back, they need to be raised up

as they are moved back. So many feet back = so many inches up.

I have an E-Tec on my 228 Cuddy & they need to be at just the right height while cruising.

Too low & it's like dragging an anchor - too high & you suck air in.

The cavitation plate or anti ventilation plate (large plate of the lower unit just above the prop) needs

to be at the waterline coming off the bottom of the hull where it hits the front of the lower unit, while

cruising on plane & at a medium load.
    1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Old school used to say run a straight edge along the bottom of the hull & cav plate should be right there.

It is a good place to start. Now, with motors being mounted further & further back, they need to be raised up

as they are moved back. So many feet back = so many inches up.

I have an E-Tec on my 228 Cuddy & they need to be at just the right height while cruising.

Too low & it's like dragging an anchor - too high & you suck air in.

The cavitation plate or anti ventilation plate (large plate of the lower unit just above the prop) needs

to be at the waterline coming off the bottom of the hull where it hits the front of the lower unit, while

cruising on plane & at a medium load.
      1984 Mako 228 w/ 175hp E-Tec [br]1983 SeaRay 26\' Sundancer w/ 454 Big Block spinning Volvo DuoProps (Sold)[br]1989 Wahoo 17\' CC w/ 88hp Evinrude (vacationing in Key West)[br]

Comment

Working...
      X