The perfect hull...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect hull...

Im down to one boat now and Im looking for a new project. Im looking for a 22 to 24 ft hull that doesnt draft too much. I want to be able to go off shore but still get reasonably shallow say 12/14 Im thinking the deadrise cant be more than say 18 deg. Now I know weight will factor in but Im going to add an Armstrong bracket with the float chamber. So 22 A 22 B? I love the old Makos but Im by no means an expert. Any and all input is welcome.
    1978 Mako 17 Standerd[br]1990 Welcraft 33 Sportfish 2000 14 Polar Craft

They wouldn't be the best for offshore but the shallower deadrise older 22-23's are probably what you're looking for.
    2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

They wouldn't be the best for offshore but the shallower deadrise older 22-23's are probably what you're looking for.
      2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

o
        Thanks Dave,

I'm going to be looking for something pretty soon. I have couple of little projects to finish up first. A 22 or 23 would be fine.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

o
          Thanks Dave,

I'm going to be looking for something pretty soon. I have couple of little projects to finish up first. A 22 or 23 would be fine.

Comment

I think you've seen my build so you can probably guess my opinion, but the 231 was that hull for me... Not sure I completely believe the 12" draft spec listed for the 1986 231, seems a little shallower than I would expect but I guess we'll see when I get it in the water.

The older 22's and 23's have less deadrise, but definitely shallower draft also.

The 221/224 line starting in 1980 seems to be pretty universally considered one of the best all around boats Mako ever built. Draft is listed as 14" but again not sure how accurate that is.

If you haven't been through it, find some time to read through the Mako Q&A thread - tons of amazing info and opinions on the different generations of Mako boats. The explanation of the naming conventions used at different times is gold!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wolfie

I think you've seen my build so you can probably guess my opinion, but the 231 was that hull for me... Not sure I completely believe the 12" draft spec listed for the 1986 231, seems a little shallower than I would expect but I guess we'll see when I get it in the water.

The older 22's and 23's have less deadrise, but definitely shallower draft also.

The 221/224 line starting in 1980 seems to be pretty universally considered one of the best all around boats Mako ever built. Draft is listed as 14" but again not sure how accurate that is.

If you haven't been through it, find some time to read through the Mako Q&A thread - tons of amazing info and opinions on the different generations of Mako boats. The explanation of the naming conventions used at different times is gold!

Thanks Wolife,

I will continue to look at see whats out there. I have the luxury of time. I still have my skiff and a few little things I need to tidy up but I'm very much excited about having another project. Thanks again for your input...

Comment

I have a 1977 Mako 22 CC. It indeed will draft in 10 inches of water as listed. It was my first boat and i still have it. Its been completely redone and has an etec 250 on the back, She will do 47mph under perfect conditions w a 15x17 3 blade prop. Its a modified hull and will slap the wakes from time to time but she comes out of the water like a jet ski. I can actually spin out the back like a jet ski if I want to make a crazy tight turn. I only do that at slow speeds though. it has a high enough bow that I dont get wet until the waves are around 4 to 5ft or crazy high winds. Hope this helps.
                Proud owner of a Mako 22

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 1977Mako22

I have a 1977 Mako 22 CC. It indeed will draft in 10 inches of water as listed. It was my first boat and i still have it. Its been completely redone and has an etec 250 on the back, She will do 47mph under perfect conditions w a 15x17 3 blade prop. Its a modified hull and will slap the wakes from time to time but she comes out of the water like a jet ski. I can actually spin out the back like a jet ski if I want to make a crazy tight turn. I only do that at slow speeds though. it has a high enough bow that I dont get wet until the waves are around 4 to 5ft or crazy high winds. Hope this helps.

Yes sir it does. Thank you.

Comment

yeh if only 18 degrees deadrise is what ur looking for, think only the older models have that modified vee, once you get up to even the 21's on the newer (80's) models deadrise gets higher then that I believe

Comment

yeh if only 18 degrees deadrise is what ur looking for, think only the older models have that modified vee, once you get up to even the 21's on the newer (80's) models deadrise gets higher then that I believe

Comment

Working...
                      X