Anyone running a 150 2T on a 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running a 150 2T on a 17

I came across a low hour and very clean 2005 Yamaha Carbed two stroke and wondering what experience has been had here. I know theres another member running a 150 2T but I cant find the post.

Besides the weight issue and exceeding the maximum hp rating on capacity plate of 135hp it might be hard keeping the boat stable at 50+ MPH. We had a Merc 125 on our 17 with trim tabs and that boat flew at 45MPH and was scary.
    Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Ii hear what youre saying Keyman. Im not looking to go 50 plus and the weight at 422 lbs is just over the 400lb transom weight. The transom has been redone in Coosa and is now 25. I will have trim tabs regardless of motor I use.

Comment

Ii hear what youre saying Keyman. Im not looking to go 50 plus and the weight at 422 lbs is just over the 400lb transom weight. The transom has been redone in Coosa and is now 25. I will have trim tabs regardless of motor I use.

Comment

We have a 1969 17' Mako that is powered by a 1994 Yamaha Pro V 150 hp. The Outboard model # is "P150TLRS" 20" shaft. This weighs in at 390 lbs. The boat is rigged with the battery and the oil tank under the center console seat. This outboard is in the same weight range as a Yamaha 115 hp four stroke.

This Mako 17' floats on it's water line very well. I raised the transom height by an inch and a half and moved the battery forward from the transom step / box to the center console.

The acceleration out of the hole is very impressive....

The Yamaha 150 hp 2.6 V6 2 stroke is a great outboard.
          Isle of Springs, Maine[br]Past Boats;[br]1931 Chris Craft 18\' custom runabout Chrysler 318\" V8. 1974 Donzi 21\' GT 500 hp 454\" big block. 1991 Crowley 28\' lobster Yacht 380 hp Isuzu. 1990 Boston Whaler 15\' [br]Yamaha C85 hp.[br]Present Boat;[br]1969 Mako 17\' Yamaha Pro V 150 2 stroke.

Comment

Thanks I. B. I pulled the trigger on the 150. Its an 04 txr model with 25 shaft. I have already rebuilt and raised my transom with Coosa. This model is 422 lbs and I know of another 17 with a 135 v6 Optimax that weighs 437 and floats very well. Batteries and tank will be under console and all foam removed and replaced with composite stringers and bulkheads. The Suzuki 140 I planned on weighs 419 and Id still love to have that motor but I will never be able to run the boat enough for the good gas usage to outweigh the initial $6000 cost and finance charge difference. Thanks for the input. Do you have pics of your 17?

Comment

Thanks I. B. I pulled the trigger on the 150. Its an 04 txr model with 25 shaft. I have already rebuilt and raised my transom with Coosa. This model is 422 lbs and I know of another 17 with a 135 v6 Optimax that weighs 437 and floats very well. Batteries and tank will be under console and all foam removed and replaced with composite stringers and bulkheads. The Suzuki 140 I planned on weighs 419 and Id still love to have that motor but I will never be able to run the boat enough for the good gas usage to outweigh the initial $6000 cost and finance charge difference. Thanks for the input. Do you have pics of your 17?

Comment

You will be happy with the Yamaha 2.6 V6. The same parts are used to make the 175 hp and the 200 hp. 2 stroke.... and the outboard weight is the same.

I have lots of pictures of the Mako / Yamaha Pro V 150 but have been unable to post to the forum. I would be happy to email them to you.

Eddie
                Isle of Springs, Maine[br]Past Boats;[br]1931 Chris Craft 18\' custom runabout Chrysler 318\" V8. 1974 Donzi 21\' GT 500 hp 454\" big block. 1991 Crowley 28\' lobster Yacht 380 hp Isuzu. 1990 Boston Whaler 15\' [br]Yamaha C85 hp.[br]Present Boat;[br]1969 Mako 17\' Yamaha Pro V 150 2 stroke.

Comment

Eddie please do send pics.

mrdrodgers at yahoo dot com

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X