GPS chartplotter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS chartplotter

Time to upgrade from my garmin 541. I would like to move up to a 7 screen. Not sure if I want to go with a combo unit or not.

Would like to keep my spend reasonable.

What do you guys recommend .
    Brian Duff[br]1988 Mako 211-Sold [br]1991 Mako 231 special edition[br]2001 Yamaha 250 ox66[br]Toms River, NJ[br][br]

I use a Simrad Go7. So far, its been pretty good and its easy to use.
    Long Island NY [br]1985 Mako 20C[br]2003 Yamaha OX66 150[br]

Comment

I use a Simrad Go7. So far, its been pretty good and its easy to use.
      Long Island NY [br]1985 Mako 20C[br]2003 Yamaha OX66 150[br]

Comment

I like the Lowrance Hook7 series. you can get a complete 7 inch combo with down scan imaging for 300 bucks...simple and work good
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Lots of good options out there and opinions to go with. I have always been a fan of Garmin, always had, dealt with great customer service, user friendly, etc..., so when I made this upgrade it was a no brainer for me. I have the 741xs and I do not have a single complaint. I was skeptical of touch screen, but I absolutely love it. I bottom fish, and while not huge, the split screen with gps and bottom has been sufficient.
          \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
          \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

741xs is great. It has wireless that will allow you to interface with an Ipad or laptop to make entering all of the way points and stuff super easy.
            1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

I have the simrad go7 and love it. It was a bit pricey at 650, but with the sonar, it is killer!
              \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Garmin garmin, most user friendly and best units out there if you ask me, and with best re sale value. If you already had one you already know all the functions, entering a waypoint is the same procedure as the first garmin 48's and 182's

Comment

Was thinking the same thing a couple weeks back and looking for a 7" combo unit for my 15 Whaler project. I looked at all the options - Raymarine, Simrad, Lowrance and Garmin. There may be more, but I'm familiar with these and kept it to 4.

Raymarine - I have a Raymaine in my 21 Mako and like it, but the models they offer in screen sizes that would fit are odd shaped. I'd only get a 5" screen in their FruitFly or FireFly model (whatever they call it). User interface wasn't as friendly as I would like and buttons look goofy.

Lowrance - almost bought one, but a friend scared me off after his Lowrance when his touch screen digitizer failed 2 months out of warranty and the company wouldn't stand behind the issue or offer the failed part for repair, so it was a throwaway unit. Yes, it was out of warranty, but boats up here only see use 1/2 the year and there something to be said for taking care of the customer.

Simrad - Nice stuff, have no experience with them. Pricing didn't seem in line with performance.

Gamin - Have one on my 32' Nordic Tug and love it. Had it 14 years and still going strong. Simple to use cartography is great, so I settled on the 74SV model without xducer for $365 for the Whaler. I'll grab a xducer (non-chirp) for under $100 and it'll do everything I need.

Chirp is not important to me and the tranducers are enormous. On a small boat pulling tubers and water toys I don't want a xducer jutting out from the stern.

D-
                  Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Was thinking the same thing a couple weeks back and looking for a 7" combo unit for my 15 Whaler project. I looked at all the options - Raymarine, Simrad, Lowrance and Garmin. There may be more, but I'm familiar with these and kept it to 4.

Raymarine - I have a Raymaine in my 21 Mako and like it, but the models they offer in screen sizes that would fit are odd shaped. I'd only get a 5" screen in their FruitFly or FireFly model (whatever they call it). User interface wasn't as friendly as I would like and buttons look goofy.

Lowrance - almost bought one, but a friend scared me off after his Lowrance when his touch screen digitizer failed 2 months out of warranty and the company wouldn't stand behind the issue or offer the failed part for repair, so it was a throwaway unit. Yes, it was out of warranty, but boats up here only see use 1/2 the year and there something to be said for taking care of the customer.

Simrad - Nice stuff, have no experience with them. Pricing didn't seem in line with performance.

Gamin - Have one on my 32' Nordic Tug and love it. Had it 14 years and still going strong. Simple to use cartography is great, so I settled on the 74SV model without xducer for $365 for the Whaler. I'll grab a xducer (non-chirp) for under $100 and it'll do everything I need.

Chirp is not important to me and the tranducers are enormous. On a small boat pulling tubers and water toys I don't want a xducer jutting out from the stern.

D-
                    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Working...
                    X