Deciding on the best size 19,20,21,22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on the best size 19,20,21,22

Hello everyone I'm sorry if this seem very vague but I'm new to boating. Like it says I'm just looking to find the best fit or me and my needs. Fishing, Diving for lobster and hitting the sandbar. I want o be able to carry 2 including myself 3 max for fishing trips. and still be able to hit the sand bars with a few friends. I don't plan on going out shore unless its a calm day or little chop. This boat will mainly be used in palm beach county and the treasure coast. occasionally be taking it down to the keys or the west coast. my budget is 8-10K. That includes what ever repairs it will need after i buy it.

so far I'm leaning towards a 20c but wanted to look at the other hulls. Not much of a fan of the 21 because most I've seen have rear port and starbird boxes that are very close to leaning post that seam to crowd the stern. is this found on all 21?

which one these hulls rides the smoothest?

please give me your experiences with these hulls good or bad.

Also i have a toyota tundra so i have decent hauling power.

thanks

Forgot to mention I was looking into a seacraft 20 if anyone has any input on those

Thanks

Comment

Forgot to mention I was looking into a seacraft 20 if anyone has any input on those

Thanks

Comment

Every boat is a compromise. Figure what your priorities are then buy accordingly. shallow water, inshore, offshore,some of each.

Comment

The 20 is a great all around boat. Not a tremendous amount of storage area, but adequate. It has a modified vee so it's a little shallower draft, but doesn't handle rough water as well as the 21-22's. As you'd expect, the bigger boat would be more stable.

Growing up, we had a 20' and had no problem taking it 20-25 miles out in the Keys. Just pick your days.

As I recall, the SeaCraft doesn't have foam flotation. That's a big mark against in my book.
          M20 project-Finally Splashed!
          https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
          Gallery
          https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dogman18

Every boat is a compromise. Figure what your priorities are then buy accordingly. shallow water, inshore, offshore,some of each.

Yes that's is very true. I def plan on doing mainly inshore and shallow with offshore on calm days

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kgfisher

The 20 is a great all around boat. Not a tremendous amount of storage area, but adequate. It has a modified vee so it's a little shallower draft, but doesn't handle rough water as well as the 21-22's. As you'd expect, the bigger boat would be more stable.

Growing up, we had a 20' and had no problem taking it 20-25 miles out in the Keys. Just pick your days.

As I recall, the SeaCraft doesn't have foam flotation. That's a big mark against in my book.

Did not know that about seacraft thanks for the info.

I'm glad to hear that you believed the 20 was a great all around boat... I believe that's what I'm looking for since this will be my very first boat.

Comment

I have owned 2-20's, a 25 and a 261. When I had the 261 I was looking for a second smaller boat that would be easier to handle myself and also for going to the sandbar.

After finding a 201 hull and refitting it I ended up using it way more than the 261 and ended up selling the 261.

I have had the 201 for 7 years and it has been great boat but now I'm ready to move up to a 23-24' bay boat just because at times I need more room.

The 21 will ride better and the Seacraft is also a great boat.
                2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

I have owned 2-20's, a 25 and a 261. When I had the 261 I was looking for a second smaller boat that would be easier to handle myself and also for going to the sandbar.

After finding a 201 hull and refitting it I ended up using it way more than the 261 and ended up selling the 261.

I have had the 201 for 7 years and it has been great boat but now I'm ready to move up to a 23-24' bay boat just because at times I need more room.

The 21 will ride better and the Seacraft is also a great boat.

Thanks for your advice Noname Dave... I've heard the 21 rides better. is this just because its a bigger hull or any other reasons?

Comment

[/quote]

Thanks for your advice Noname Dave... I've heard the 21 rides better. is this just because its a bigger hull or any other reasons?

[/quote]

The Mako info for the older boats lists the deadrise at the transom the same for both boats but the entry of the 21 sure looks deeper.

The extra foot and additional weight will make it ride better.
                    2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Noname Dave

[/quote]

The Mako info for the older boats lists the deadrise at the transom the same for both boats but the entry of the 21 sure looks deeper.

The extra foot and additional weight will make it ride better.

[/quote]

Thanks Dave I didn't even think of the entry being deeper

Comment

20C is a great boat worked very well for us and I had it out to 40 miles with buddies fishing but only on the rarest of days. Both the 20 and 21 will do what you want, the 21 will handle the chop a lot better as it is a bigger boat. You might also want to see if you can find a 94-96 201 which is a very deep v boat, and almost just a shortened 21.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL
                        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

No love for the 23 ? I use my 231 '79 with 2017 150 merc 4 stroke by myself all the time- she got a big bow and skinney waist so it does shallow quite well - dry weight is listed at 2400 lbs in the manual - 150 4S gets me 40+ mph with 4 mpg is I keep it under 4k.

It does have the back- side fish boxes which cut into rear cockpit space.

Comment

No love for the 23 ? I use my 231 '79 with 2017 150 merc 4 stroke by myself all the time- she got a big bow and skinney waist so it does shallow quite well - dry weight is listed at 2400 lbs in the manual - 150 4S gets me 40+ mph with 4 mpg is I keep it under 4k.

It does have the back- side fish boxes which cut into rear cockpit space.

Comment

Working...
                            X