1970 Classic 19 Performance In Long Island Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Classic 19 Performance In Long Island Sound

So I just bought a 1970 Mako 19 and I am currently rewiring the boat and cleaning it up for use in the next month or so. I was talking to a friends father and he said my boat is going to be scary out in Long Island Sound.

Everything I have read so far details this hull as a solid performer in near shore seas, however he has now gotten into my head and Im feeling in-secure about the boat now. Whats everyone's Performance experience with the low dead rise non deep Vee on a 17,19,20 Mako hull ? Obviously I dont plan on going out in heavy weather and if I get caught in a quick moving system so be it. Any Input would be awesome !
    1970 Mako 19

I'm not familiar with the 19 but you will certainly be ok in the long island sound. Don't get me wrong you will have to watch the weather and pick your days especially in the early spring and late fall when the seasons are changing. The sound can be like glass one minute and change to 5-6 ft rollers the next. I would install some trim tabs if not done already, and splash guards on the transom and go.

Comment

There is already a transom Guard installed:

1970 Mako 19

Comment

What are everyone's thoughts on the self Leveling Trim tabs ??

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/benne...4gExoCYn_w_wcB
        1970 Mako 19

Comment

>...Obviously I dont plan on going out in heavy weather and if I get caught in a quick moving system so be it.

Exactly.

And 17's are what a lot of the flats guides use.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
          NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

I run my 19 on a plane in 2 to 3 foot seas...but the 19 is a nearshore design...wide and stable but not designed to handle heavy seas...she'll handle more than you can...but it would not be fun in big seas.
            [/URL]

Comment

What... Not sure what the father is talking about but I've run both the 19" and the 20" Mako Models on The Long Island Sound and it's handled just fine in choppy seas. The 19" Hull is a very stable & solid boat heavy cuts the water without the pounding of other 19's out there. I ran my 71' 19 about 3 years ago in the Soldiers on The Sound Tournament out of Smithtown with 2 NYS Troopers and myself and she handled just fine heading into the winning weigh in for a fluke tourney.

Im not saying to run it in 6-8ft seas though the middle of the stromy ocean etc.. but it definitely gave me the confidence of knowing myself & crew would be safe on the water. pick your days out there.

I ran a 140 Evinrude with no trim tabs but a custom Hydrofoil fin on the cavitation plate with splashguards. You don't need trim tabs on that boat. Research Outboard Hydrofoil Stabilizers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outboard...-/162372518244

Sold the boat and it's now used up in Gloucester owner loves it.

Thats a good hull right there. Best of luck on the water & stay safe!
              [br]1989 Mako 260 [br]Long Island, New York [br]Elite Long Island Charters[br]Montauk Tackle Co. Pro-Guide[br]www.Island-Outdoors.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rowch01

What are everyone's thoughts on the self Leveling Trim tabs ??

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/benne...4gExoCYn_w_wcB

I just shopped around for trim tabs. A friend of mine is a boat rigger at a large dealer, and he told me to "grow a set, and learn to drive your boat"

His opinion on the self leveling was one that theyre always in for repair, people dont use them right, its more for rich people who buy expensive boats and want top of the line equipment. My buddys never steered me wrong.

He also said if you want electric stay with lenco (dont use bennett bolt) but bennett hydraulic tabs are the best in the market.

I ended up with the new lencos on my 25, once u get used to moving them around when operating, its not bad at all. Ive always respected his advise and he was very passionate about steering me away from them.

I am very happy with my lenco electrics and am glad I didnt get the auto tabs, The idea seems cool, but I just mounted the tab controller by my binnacle so i can tap/adjust as necessary.
                Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FarleyPalmer

I run my 19 on a plane in 2 to 3 foot seas...but the 19 is a nearshore design...wide and stable but not designed to handle heavy seas...she'll handle more than you can...but it would not be fun in big seas.

The Father Doesn't know much about Mako hulls. Ill let him slide and not worry too much about his input.

Thanks for all the input ! I really appreciate everyones input on this forum, you guys have all had awesome input and I look forward to getting this Ancient Mako rocking and rolling !
                  1970 Mako 19

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Makomyday92

What... Not sure what the father is talking about but I've run both the 19" and the 20" Mako Models on The Long Island Sound and it's handled just fine in choppy seas. The 19" Hull is a very stable & solid boat heavy cuts the water without the pounding of other 19's out there. I ran my 71' 19 about 3 years ago in the Soldiers on The Sound Tournament out of Smithtown with 2 NYS Troopers and myself and she handled just fine heading into the winning weigh in for a fluke tourney.

Im not saying to run it in 6-8ft seas though the middle of the stromy ocean etc.. but it definitely gave me the confidence of knowing myself & crew would be safe on the water. pick your days out there.

I ran a 140 Evinrude with no trim tabs but a custom Hydrofoil fin on the cavitation plate with splashguards. You don't need trim tabs on that boat. Research Outboard Hydrofoil Stabilizers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outboard...-/162372518244

Sold the boat and it's now used up in Gloucester owner loves it.

Thats a good hull right there. Best of luck on the water & stay safe!

Awesome info, thanks for your input ! Its well appreciated !
                    1970 Mako 19

Comment

Nice choice!

Below is a picture of my 19'. Watch this video but don't take this guys lead...32 miles is probably a bit too far for the 19'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqLA5DkFe_E
                      [br]Captain W[br]1970 Mako 19

Comment

HAHA ! YEa 32 miles may be a stretch, luckily if I go about 8 miles ill hit Long Island NY............
                        1970 Mako 19

Comment

Working...
                        X