No announcement yet.

Mako 25 repower - twin 200 or twin 150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 25 repower - twin 200 or twin 150?

So, I blew a piston in a new-to-me 1980 Mako 25 with bracket, had 2-stroke twin Yamaha 200s. I ordered new Yamaha 200s in April, and while I have a left-hand drive motor with my name on it, I just found out the right-hand drive may not arrive until December or January. I know I'm not the only one waiting on motors or parts, but after losing the summer it's killing me to potentially lose Christmas break. There's a chance I can get 150s sooner, but I'm reluctant to downgrade horsepower. I loved how the 25 handled with 200s, briefly though I had it.

Anyone else with a 25 that can tell me I'd love 150s or should hold out for 200s? Biggest fear is spending that kind of money and being disappointed with performance.

Well I can't exactly say this is an apples to apples comparison. I have a 25 with a single 300. So far I am very happy with the combo, my setup is performance wise probably pretty close to what the twin 150s would be. Boat has great holeshot and tops out around 42 mph, with a full tank of fuel, just me and I have a tower. I cruise around 28 - 30 mph at 4k rpm, I currently have a 3 blade Quicksilver Thunderbolt prop 17 pitch. While I am happy with what I have if I had the opportunity and the money to go twin 200s it would be hard to pass that up. While I am sure the extra 100 hp is not going to make it a 60mph boat I bet it would be pretty close to if not 50 mph and feel like you are shot out of a cannon off the line.
    Last edited by fandarr; 11-02-2021, 06:53 PM.

Current
    '76 Mako 25 w/ '10 Yamaha F300
    Previous
    '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
    '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
    Brick, NJ

Comment

Max out the weight HP. What I mean is most 150 and 200s are the same engine block so get the most HP for the weight.
      Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

That's been my thinking all along, it's negligible difference of transom weight between 150 and 200 so might as well get the additional horsepower. I'm a fan of twins, might just be the old school thinking of "having a spare to limp home on" if something breaks. I know motors are much better these days, but still, I broke one and was able to limp home without SeaTow. I don't need to run at 60mph, and with the kids usually cruise around 35-40. But it's a great hole shot and I know there's a lot left on the throttle if I need it. I wish there was an apples to apples comparison out there, just hoping someone here has gone up or down horsepower and can tell me I'm crazy either way.

Comment

Working...
        X