Mako 261 cracking in chines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 261 cracking in chines

Noticed this cracking after the last trip. I’ve owned this boat a short time and have only had it out 3 times. I was hoping to avoid a stringer repair but this has me worried. The cracking appears to have been fixed prior. It’s looks like they did a quick patch on it and not an actual repair. Does this look like a structural issue or caused by Delaminated stringers? Thanks in advance!

That's not where the stringers are, they are above the lifting strakes, further down towards the keel. You can see where the stringers are by looking in the bilge access.

Not sure why it would be cracking there. Do the sides look splayed in or out?

Comment

Not the best pictures but will give you an idea what's below the floor. The stringers are between the tank coffin and the fish boxes in the first picture. The second picture is where I cut out the rod lockers, and made a lip for the new floor piece I made to rest on.

Comment

It’s hard to tell but both sides look the same. Was thinking about cutting the deck to get to them but not sure where to start

Comment

The area is below the bottom of the rod lockers, and there will be foam in there. My rod lockers were glassed in, shown in first pic. Second pic I have one cut out and you can see the foam. Third pic is where I added glass before putting the strip of coosa to rest the floor on.

Probably easier to just sand down the outside until you get to glass in the worst spot and see if you can tell anything.

Comment

It kinda looks like someone did a crappy job with some body filler and paint.

Comment

I would grind a small area back and see what’s going on, very odd place to be cracking
              Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

Ok, I cut the transom out as well as removed the factory livewell. Everything looks good towards the stern with the exception of heavily saturated foam. I was planning on replacing the deck and foam. I’m hoping the stringers will be good 🙏. If all the foam is waterlogged would that cause the boat to flex enough to crack at the chines?

Comment

The other odd thing that led me to start investigating was the boat was riding very deep in the water and seemed to get caught in the smallest swell. It was very difficult to get it out and overall handled terrible.

Comment

Could those cracks go through and let water in? How does the boat sit in the water? Maybe water got in there and foam is soaked making the bow heavy.

Current
                    '76 Mako 25 w/ '10 Yamaha F300
                    Previous
                    '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
                    '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
                    Brick, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Knottideright View Post
                      Ok, I cut the transom out as well as removed the factory livewell. Everything looks good towards the stern with the exception of heavily saturated foam. I was planning on replacing the deck and foam. I’m hoping the stringers will be good 🙏. If all the foam is waterlogged would that cause the boat to flex enough to crack at the chines?
                      Hmm, that would cause you to ride low, handle poorly and generally could have caused an issue if the trailer bunks weren't in the right places.

I would take a grinder and do a bit of investigation, it looks like they previous owner 'patched' over the chine area. Now you could be extremely unlucky and have a boat that had an excessive amount of voids along the chines.. but this doesn't quite look like that. And there appears to be an attempted cover up.

I'd go and check a 6-12" wide area along the chine to see what's going on. If you're worried about that then start with foam removal from the inside and see what it looks like. But know that your going to have to fix that before launching that boat again.

Comment

What the hell is the coating on that bottom? Looks like you have someone who applied a barrier coat over a poorly prepared surface, combined with some voids/gelcoat cracks.

Grinder grinder, whos hull is the fairest of them all?

Comment

Shakes, I just got it recently and after it’s fixed it’s going to get soda blasted, sanded and re-gel coated. I hate bottom paint

Comment

Thanks for the info! I’ll let you know what I find

Comment

After cutting the deck up, it looks like the port stringer got ripped up. I’m sure it’s hard to see in the pics. I plan on redoing the stringer system with 1” coosa and installing gussets and bulkheads as well as adding a fresh water tank in front of the fuel tank.
                              what are y’all’s thoughts on raising the stringer height and tying the deck into the stringers and hull sides

Comment

Working...
                              X